Author Topic: Nigeria\'s Budget: Legislators Harass All Ministers For Bribe  (Read 9261 times)

Prince

Unu a hula?  A na-acho otu ala si adi mma, nwamkpi na-echeesi nne ya.
This is beyoun me.  It hursts me most when an Igbo didnitary is implicated.  Is this how we are gonna run our Biafra? This just in:
Budget: Legislators Harass All Ministers For Bribe
(Guardian Newpapers)

ABUJA? FEDERAL legislators demanded bribe from almost all the ministers for the purpose of endorsing their budget proposals, and not only the Education Minister, Professor Fabian Osuji, Vanguard can now reveal. In some cases, where the ministers said they had no money to pay, legislators would advise them to ask their contractors to pay the bribes.

Prof. Osuji was arrested and quizzed, last week, by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for allegedly bribing members of the House Of Representatives Committee on Education to the tune of N50 million to facilitate the passage of his ministry?s budgetary allocation for this year. The minister was released at about 11.45p.m. on Saturday and reportedly attended church service in Abuja yesterday.
Details: http://www.vanguardngr.com/articles/2002/headline/f121032005.html
He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.

If you s-m-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-l-l-l-l-l-l-l what the Prince - is - cooking!!

(Adapted from WWE’s Rock.)

Honeybunnie

Nigeria\'s Budget: Legislators Harass All Ministers For Bribe
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 08:24:08 PM »
Interesting stuff, but hey, see what I\'ve been saying, these are all people that have been in power all along. I remember the Osujis from Abj, the guy held a small political position in ABuja back then, we were in the same high school with his kids , I see he has moved up the ranks. I tell you even in our Biafra, if that ever happens, I am sure that we\'ll still have all this backbiting and backstabbing. Trust me Prince, whether Igbo or not, most of the people in leadership right now are corrupt. Only bribe, that is even small.

Prince

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 08:36:07 PM »
It\'s simply demoralizing.  It is sure to let the air out of the tires of folks who are seriously contemplating Biafra rebirth

If you s-m-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-l-l-l-l-l-l-l what the Prince - is - cooking!!

Honeybunnie

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 08:02:38 PM »
Apparently Obsanjo is trying to show that his leadership will not condone corruption, If only it was far reaching.

Quote from: \"BBC News\"
Last Updated: Tuesday, 22 March, 2005, 23:24 GMT
Nigeria sacks \'corrupt\' minister

Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo has sacked Education Minister Fabian Osuji following an anti-corruption investigation.

Mr Obasanjo said Mr Osuji had bribed senior MPs a total of $400,000 (?212,000) to ease the passage of an education budget.

Nigeria must not \"wallow in corruption\" if it wants debt relief, he added.

Mr Osuji, released on Sunday after being held by government investigators for several days, has made no comment.

He is the second minister to be dismissed for alleged corruption since Mr Obasanjo took power in 1999 pledging to clean up Nigeria\'s political class.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4373963.stm

Prince

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 08:37:51 PM »
Honeyb, my sister, better no dey-o-o-o-o.  Oko iku a kogbuola onye onye-ya na-agba ajoo uri.

However, as much as it is embarrasing that an Igbo public servant is implicated, it is funnier considering who\'s sacking.  And pots couldn\'t call kettles, black.

The man is relieved of his office without any trial, Congressional hearing, or impeachment.  Obasanjo took this swift and drastic measure for two reassons.  

He is a hater of the Igbos, as reflected in his treatment of Dim Emeka Ojukwu and his handling of the MASSOB crackdown, etc.  

Secondly, He is trying to impress Mr G Bush who is godfathering Obasanjo\'s anti-corruption campaign.

chizor

• http://
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 08:49:41 PM »
@ prince. you\'re so right.
 8O

how embarassing! the only igbo minister.  :oops:
Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant, and she fell on me. Then it wouldn\'t seem quite so funny.
--Jack Handey,

Honeybunnie

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 08:55:27 PM »
Hey but before you guys rush to conclusion, Obj had also sacked another minister who I think was yoruba, and he also was sacked without a trial. Igbos usually bear the brunt, then again, there aren\'t many of them in the leadership of the country, so when one of them is axed it is very noticeable.

Igbos are not very noticeable in power, whenever there is an igbo person, he is always the information minister, or in some other position that isn\'t very powerful, but that is really what we have to face for trying to break away in the 60s, now we are relegated to the background by the other tribes.

The one thing I agree with is that Obj is trying to impress Mr. Bush.

Whatever happened to Ekwueme?

You know Nigeria is a boiling cauldron waiting to explode. The whole tribal and then religious undertones that people have to bear everyday in that country is overwhelming.

uapo4

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 09:02:35 PM »
Greetings all. Whereas Obasanjo may have his errors, I think he needs to be commended for some positives coming in this anti-corruption campaign. I believe that doing anything to fight evil doings will always be a good thing. I have a question:
\"Must one do ANYTHING to remain in power or be minister?\" Although, this is still alleged crime, it is very sad and might be the norm of most ministers.

If the ministers were \"forced\" to pay bribe in order to have their budget approved, they can do something:
(1) Record (secretly of course) the voice of the idiot giving them that order, or
(2) Quit!!!! We must not do anything for our job.
People do quit their job when the working condition is too bad.

As for Prof. Fabian Osuji, I wish him well...hopefully, he gets out of this mess.
"Incline Thy ear, O Lord, and hear me: for I am needy and poor" -- Psalm lxxxv. 1

sly

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 09:18:00 PM »
Nigeria is just a mess and thats the reason why we keep suffering. How can u fight corruption while perpetuating the same corruption. Obj is already corrupt with the way he\'s running the counrty and everybody knows that. He is just trying to plz the western world with his anti corruption campaign. Osuji on his own is a big shame. How could he make himself the scape goat and bring shame to the Igbo\'s. It destroys our credibility in ur quest to rule the  nation
*****Accept criticism with a spirit of gratitude. Ego tripping is the dance of fools and has no place in the pursuit of excellence.*****
*****Michael Grant*****

uapo4

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 09:23:46 PM »
There was a reason Biafra failed in 1967. A more intricate problem among the Igbos. I was fortunate to speak to a number of old men and women about Biafra, and most of them come with this resounding answer regarding fighting another war: HELL NO...LET BIAFRA FIX THEIR PROBLEMS FIRST.
"Incline Thy ear, O Lord, and hear me: for I am needy and poor" -- Psalm lxxxv. 1

Prince

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2005, 09:39:00 PM »
You guys, Chizo, Hb, Uzo, said it all.  But Sly, you deserve an extra cup of palmwine.  Nothing can top your summation.

But to make a slight observation about Uzo\'s last comment, we know that Nigeria, including Biafra, is rotten to the core.  It\'s just that it\'s a little more bearable when your own dog smears you with excrement.  You are more livid when another\'s or a strange dog does that.  You know what they say, where there are two evils, we choose the lesser of the two.

Honeybunnie

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2005, 09:47:48 PM »
That is so true, but it will amaze you the amount of bribery and corruption that is in that town (Abuja, that is where everything goes down). My dad used to develope for the government and was into buying and selling land there, and I remember he would tell my mom how this person or that person is asking for a kickback on payment or tryong to get paid for them getting a contract. I\'m sure it is just a dream for them in Naija now that they have open bidding. Usually after they turn in their budget on work that is needed (my dad that is), I forget what the y call those lists, them ministers and people would add to the money that is originally requested and keep the balance for themselves. Believe me, the only way to stop it is to just like I have said so many times, chop off the entire population of Nigerians that have been in power.

Prince

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2005, 10:04:11 PM »
As I read your post Hb, I think you should thank God for bringing you out of that hell hole, called Abuja.  I haven\'t been there before, but it sounds like a pool of maggots, when bribery and corruption are on the table.

I\'m trying to visualize you, logging your Ghana must go (laundry) bag full of Naira, looking for whom to bribe, to get a job.

Honeybunnie

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2005, 10:24:52 PM »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol: , Prince tell me about it.To even get a job, a really good job, if you don\'t have the connections, good luck to you. BUt you know Abuja isn\'t all bad, it\'s the cleanest place in the whole of Nigeria, that\'s one, the best planned as well, I am always proud of saying my dad was among the people that developed ABuja plus the planning, I even wrote on the original city plan, I was a kid. I love driving there compared to the other places I\'ve driven in, Lagos being my worst.

A really good friend of mine just moved there from Enugu and she is loving it. Prince you should visit it sometime when you can, you might not like the heat, it bites your skin, but I bet you\'ll love everything else, of course as long as you don\'t have to deal with aso.

uapo4

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2005, 10:46:45 PM »
I don\'t want to choose between one of two evils. Let Biafra try and fix their problems first, then maybe they\'ll be a case. Quite frankly, I don\'t see how having Biafra will make things much better. Is fighting a war to have a country called Biafra and losing lives worth finally choosing between two evils?
The Igbo land has money both from Government and private businesses, but I don\'t see much being done with it. This issue of having terrible roads is mostly common in the East. When you drive through Kano, Kaduna, and of course Jos and Abuja, you\'ll know that Nigeria has good roads. When you come to Owerri-Onitsha road, God save you if you ride on a hard-wood chair bus because your butt will be well beaten by the bumps and potholes on the road.
I won\'t even go into the ego and self-centered issues that disturbs a lot of us and hinders our progress. Can you imagine that when there was campaign for who\'ll be the next president, you have several Igbo men coming running. No one wants to back down for the other; this means that the votes that one person could get will be split into insignificant counts for each one of them.
Personally, I\'ll like to learn more not just from books, but people with experience in the leadership of Biafra and see their account of why they believe Biafra failed. If one doesn\'t learn from the past, then future efforts will likely be futile for Biafra.