Author Topic: Nigeria\'s Budget: Legislators Harass All Ministers For Bribe  (Read 9262 times)

uapo4

• http://
Nigeria\'s Budget: Legislators Harass All Ministers For Bribe
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2005, 10:49:45 PM »
As a matter of fact, Nigeria could do well without all these splits. Are we going to split because of ethnic groups or that our votes don\'t count? How about Ibibio, Itshekiri, Ogoni, Yoruba, and the several ethnic groups we have. If Nigeria can move towards progress consistently, I say let\'s stick together.
Besides, I want to call Yekini one of our greatest goal scorers of all time.
"Incline Thy ear, O Lord, and hear me: for I am needy and poor" -- Psalm lxxxv. 1

Prince

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2005, 03:22:59 AM »
In all earnesty, Uapo4, I\'m hard-pressed to come up with any counter to the argument you just put forward.  We can blame Nigeria, for the neglect of the Igbos, all we want, but I think there are things we can do that are liable to make the FG sit up and take notice.

We have enough resources in the manpower, brain, and finance departments, to make Imo, Anambara, and Abia the jewels and envy of Nigeria.  We can shun the FG and do what we can do with our resources, and in time, people will begin to belive we are better able to take care of us than Nigeria and that we can hold our own as a free Nation.

It\'s hard to see the creation of a Biafran state as a rectification of the Igbo man\'s predicament.
He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.

If you s-m-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-l-l-l-l-l-l-l what the Prince - is - cooking!!

(Adapted from WWE’s Rock.)

Honeybunnie

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2005, 12:30:25 AM »
Quote from: \"BBC News\"

Last Updated: Friday, 25 March, 2005, 11:22 GMT

E-mail this to a friend    Printable version

Nigerian minister sues government
Nigeria\'s former education minister has taken the government to court over the way he was sacked from office.

Fabian Osuji was dismissed on Tuesday in a radio and television broadcast by President Olusegun Obasanjo following an anti-corruption investigation.

He denies the charges and says his dismissal on television, without redress, infringed his human rights.

The president has promised to tackle fraud but Nigeria is still seen as one of the world\'s most corrupt countries.

\'Television trial\'

In the broadcast, Mr Obasanjo said 14 people were involved in paying members of parliament a bribe of $400,000 (?212,000) to pass an inflated education budget.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4381929.stm

I honestly do not see how this whole thing is infringing on the education minister\'s human rights. A right to a fair trial of some sort is in no way related to human rights. Unfortunately, his position has been reassigned to someone else....NEXT!!!

Prince

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2005, 01:59:08 AM »
Whoever said we have shame, ought to take a second look.  There\'s the posterboy for shamelessness.  I have no idea what he hopes to accomplish.  The wise line of action would have been to take his lump, fade into the background, and hope we forget soon.

Now he\'s liable to anger the FG, which has no sympathy for the Igbos, into filing a criminal charge, with possible restitution and or imprisonment.

Human rights?  Does he know what human rights violation incorporates?  It\'s double embarrassing if the head of a nations education system does not know what the human rights provision guarantees, and what it would take to violate it.

I must give it to the Pres., though.  For the first time in the history of Nigeria, the President and CEO of the Corruption Country Club turned in a fellow gang member.  He\'s got guts.

If you s-m-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-l-l-l-l-l-l-l what the Prince - is - cooking!!

Susia

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2005, 09:21:34 AM »
Barring a twist of events, two more ministers may soon be removed from office by President Olusegun Obasanjo for allegedly inducing members of the National Assembly with money to shore up budgetary allocations to their ministries.

http://odili.net/news/source/2005/mar/27/503.html

The poor guy ( Fabian Osuji ) is in the hospital and the FG is evicting his family from the  official quarters, na wa ooooooooo. Poor Thing!

http://odili.net/news/source/2005/mar/29/606.html

I hope the removed all dem pple now only the few the choose too remove.
Basically for the anti-corruption war to be effective, it must not be a selective thing.All those involved in the present scam should be prosecuted
Begin with the determination to suceed and the work is half done already.

Susia

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2005, 10:00:07 AM »
Is Obasanjo winning the war on corruption?

I was reading this article and i figured i share with yall It made me really think if OBJ is for real or is their some motives to his moves. it has to do with the Sack of Fabian Osuji and the \" War on Corruption\"  BIko, this is kind of lenghty, so u dont like reading lenghty stuff dont even bother...biko.ooo

The recent events involving the National Assembly have proved clearly that Obasanjo is not winning the war on corruption. We are not making progress at all in the fight against corruption. As a matter of fact, since emergence of the present democratic process the country has witnessed massive corruption everywhere, more particularly in the corridors of power.

In Aso Rock itself, there is corruption. In the National Assembly, there is corruption, and there are accusations here and there about the judiciary. So, the country is littered with corruption. And I think the President is losing the war on a daily basis. The recent eruption of the lava of corruption in this country involving the Minister of Education is just a tip of the iceberg. Even Obasanjo has admitted in his broadcast that it is a tip of the iceberg.

It?s clear to everybody that Obasanjo cannot effectively win the war against corruption because he has not established a standard that would enable that war to be won. We have seen how he has covered the corruption of General Ibrahim Babangida over the years.

Even those who are now being probed on corruption are not been taken seriously by the government. Nobody has been prosecuted, tried, and convicted. Not a single person! So, how can you tell us you are fighting corruption? You agree that corruption is pervasive, yet nobody has been tried; nobody has been arraigned or convicted. No public officer! Where are the products of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) Act? Where are the men in the prison? Where are the products of ICPC? Where are the men in the prison? Not a single person is behind bars.

All those who are against Obasanjo can easily be investigated. You have investigated Joshua Dariye, the Plateau State governor, but where are all the governors? At least, 90 percent of the governors are corrupt. Look at their investments abroad! Where did they get the money? All those who have been governors since 1999, not a single one can say he is outside the circle of corruption.

People don?t care about what goes on and the President says he is fighting corruption. He is failing. Not withstanding Fabian Osuji?s sack. Now, Osuji has been dismissed, when will he be tried? When will he be cooling his heels in the prison? When will the money be taken from him? When will the investment be taken from him? The President?s broadcast, yes. After broadcast what follows? We have had so many broadcasts. Babangida is enjoying his loot. All the Abacha boys are enjoying their loot. Abdulsalami Abubakar is enjoying his loot, and all his men are enjoying their loot. For God?s sake, let Obasanjo tell his broadcast to the marines, not Nigerians who already know what is happening in the country.

The President knows that things have reached a point where the international community will draw the carpet from under his feet, and so, he is pretending now - let?s deal with Osuji, he?s dismissed. Is that all we need? What about when Nasir El-Rufai told us that Senators demanded and got N54 million. What happened? Up till now, we have not been told who issued the cheque.

The best way you can start a war against corruption is to publish the declaration of assets of everybody. Why are you making declaration of assets private? Let journalists have access to the assets declared by every public office holder. And let us see what they have and what they do not have. Is Obasanjo telling us that he doesn?t have the facilities to get the pictures of the houses of public officers abroad?
In Hong Kong? In Tokyo? In London? In Denmark? In Kopen Hagen? In New York? In Chicago? In Kampar? In Florida? The estates they are building there? For God?s sake, who is Obasanjo hoodwinking?.
What about the property of public officers in South Africa, in the West Coast of Africa? Where did they get the money?

I only blame Nigerians because instead of them to revolt they carry their Koran and Bible and say God should help them. They invade the churches and Mosques, telling God to help them. God would not help people who do not help themselves!

Who can do this to the British? They will be on the street demonstrating. Who can do this to the Americans? They will be on the street demonstrating. Who can do this to the Germans? They will be on the street demonstrating. But Nigerians belabour Lord God Almighty. God has created them to help themselves, but they would not.

When you are talking about corruption, corruption starts from election. Obasanjo rigged election. He rigged in his own state. The basis of corruption in public life starts with election. Those who helped him to rig election now believe they must recoup what they had illegally expended. Who is he blaming now? The basis of his own leadership is corrupt.

So, how do you fight corruption when the basis of your own existence is corrupt?

Look at the confusion in Anambra State; is it not caused by corruption?

Did Governor Chris Ngige win election? If he won how did he win? Chris Uba said he manipulated the whole process, and Obasanjo did not move against him. The President has abused the democratic process of this country, and he is now shedding crocodile tears about corruption. Even after the mayhem that was unleashed on the people of Anambra, we have not been told those who are involved, no one has been charged. Obasanjo is just making a show. Nigerians are not interested in shows, but in substance.

The fight against corruption the President is talking about today is just a ruse.

Prince

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2005, 06:16:03 AM »
That was an interesting read, Susia.  This report vindicates my Alibaba and the 40 thieves analogy.

While not condoning Osuji\'s part in the corruption saga, I think he is being used as a scapegoat.  Reason?  He is Igbo.  Obasanjo is merely putting up a show for President Bush who is breathing down his neck.

Whether or not he\'s winning the war on corruption remains to be seen.  He just declared his war.  Is he reformed?  Is he born again?  I\'m willing to sit on his crooked past and observe where he goes from here.  Maybe he will empty his pockets for us to see.  Any probes that do not go that far back are simply a snow job.

Susia

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2005, 05:05:38 AM »
Another Igbo man given ultimatum to resign  as of 3/30/05

Senate President Adolphus Wabara may have been given an ultimatum by the leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to either resign by 2pm today or  be arrested for his alleged involvement in the bribe-for-budget scandal......

See link for more.

http://odili.net/news/source/2005/mar/30/204.html.

Senate President ti resign April 05 2005.

ABUJA ?EMBATTLED Senate President, Chief Adolphus Wabara, and the leadership of the People?s Democratic Party (PDP) yesterday reached a compromise that he (Wabara) should resign on the floor of the Senate on April 5, bringing to an end speculations on the fate of the number three citizen..........

http://odili.net/news/source/2005/mar/31/399.html

Prince

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2005, 07:16:27 AM »
The saga in Nigeria is blowing off the charts.  It\'s become a circus out there.

By the way, is Wabara really an Igbo?

Susia

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2005, 10:10:28 PM »
yea Prince, Wabara is Igbo....

Minister of housing and Urban development Mrs Mobolaji Osomo was sacked for not following the due process in the sale of 207 government houses in high-brow Ikoyi area of Lagos.

see link for more!!!!

http://odili.net/news/source/2005/apr/5/200.html

***Note: the news is kind of lenghty***

Honeybunnie

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2005, 12:51:46 AM »
The Nigerian Senate is a joke.

Quote from: \"Vanguard Newspapers\"
How we shared N55m bribe -SENATOR ADIGHIJE * Says Wabara charged N10m interest on outstanding bribe [/color][/b]

By Emmanuel Aziken
Thursday, April 07, 2005

ABUJA -AN apologetic Senator Chris Adighije yesterday admitted before the Senate Committee on Ethics that he received N4.75 million from the N55 million bribe given the National Assembly Committees on Education by erstwhile Education Minister, Prof. Fabian Osuji.

Also yesterday, Mrs. Ngozi Obichere, Secretary of the Senate Committee on Education, admitted collecting N1 million from Senator Abdulazeez Ibrahim, Chairman of the Committee during the money sharing, even as Senator Badamasi Maccido admitted hearing Prof. Osuji say he would keep an unfulfilled promise of giving the committee members N40 million for the passage of the ministry�s 2004 budget.

The committee was also told yesterday how the former Senate President, Chief Adolphus Wabara, charged an interest of N10 million on the N40 million unfulfilled pledge made by Prof. Osuji to committee members in 2004.

However, Senator Wabara who was fingered by Senator Adighije of having collected N15 million from the bribe denied the charge and labelled Senator Adighije �an errand boy of his political detractors� in their home state of Abia.

Other Senators indicted by the report of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), namely Senators John Azuta Mbata, chairman of the Senate Committee on Appropriation; Senator Abdulazeez Ibrahim, chairman of the Senate Committee on Education; Senator Emmanuel Okpede, his former vice-chairman, and Committee member, Senator Maccido, however, all denied receiving any share from the booty.

http://odili.net/news/source/2005/apr/7/308.html

Our so-called senators sound like disgruntled children, I am still reeling from the contents of this article, all they talk about is money, there are no real issues at hand, to make matters even worse, the ex-senate president, Mr. Wabara\'s testimony only rubs more dirt in the face of the igbos in gvernment. Why can\'t Ibos just get along, they sit and complain that they are not being given the fair share of the national cake, bla bla bla, but they turn around and stab each other in the back, and make fools of themselves in front of the entire country. This is the excerpt from the Vanguard newspapers on Wabara\'s testimony...feel free to laugh as you read.

Quote from: \"Vanguard Newspapers\"
Senator Wabara in his testimony lasting more than one hour traced his ordeals to his political enemies in his home state of Abia, saying he neither received nor heard about monetary exchange in the whole course of his intervention to get the Education budget passed.

Alluding to political interestss in the allegation, he said: There is more of politics particularly from my part of the country in this matter. The minister did not say that he gave me money. Adighije is the one saying that he gave me money.

�You will recall that Senator Adighije is not a friend of mine in the Senate. Ever since I took the seat, he has been looking for�as if his task was to get me out of office. I have said it all that Senator Chris Adighije is an errand boy of my political detractors. Senator Wabara said.

How ridiculous does this sound please, this is why Nigeria is a third world country and why Ibos are still looked down on in terms of leadership of Nigeria. Who cares that you are friends or not friends, the main issue at hand is that the country\'s situation improves and that the leadership in place are looking out for the masses. Instead at a public hearing he is bumbling like a fool almost as if to a high school teacher. ABSURD AND LAUGHABLE.