Author Topic: Soldiers kill US based businessman in Owerri  (Read 4888 times)

sly

Soldiers kill US based businessman in Owerri
« on: December 29, 2006, 08:03:15 AM »
Thursday, December 28, 2006[/b][/b][/size]

As joyful activities and merry making usually associated with Christmas celebrations continue to vibrate nationwide, the Obiekea family of Oguta Local Government Area, Imo State has been thrown into agony over the gruesome and shocking murder of one of their sons, Nnaemeka Sylvester Obiekea.

The late Obiekea, a United States based business mogul, reportedly met his untimely death in the early hours of Sunday, December 24, 2006 while returning from a night club at a popular hotel when some happy triggered soldiers on the Owerri ? Port Harcourt express road opened fire on him on trumped up charges.

The blood thirsty soldiers were allegedly drafted to man the private residence of a retired army general at Avu junction of the Port Harcourt Road, from where they allegedly moved to set up a road block.

Briefing newsmen in Owerri on Wednesday on the incident, the elder brother of the deceased, Ogbuagu Kenneth Obiekea, disclosed that his late younger brother was born and brought up in Owerri, from where he later traveled to U.S while he returned home for Christmas through Lagos on Saturday December 23, 2006 with some fleet of flashy cars for sale.

According to him, the deceased, on the fateful day, went to the said hotel for clubbing and on coming back at about 4:30 am, was accosted by some soldiers on illegal check point, who flagged him down in his Land Cruiser Jeep for a security check.

The depressed senior Obiekea added that the family was later jolted when information came that the corpse of Nnaemeka was lying at Crack Squad Unit of the Imo State Police Command, (Shell Camp Owerri) insisting that his late younger brother was murdered in cold blood.

Ogbuagu Obiekea who had already reported the incident to the police passionately pleaded with the relevant authorities to ensure that justice is done to bring the culprits to book.

Collaborating the views of the deceased family, a former Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice in the state, Mr. Donald Chika DeNwigwe, told Daily Sun that actual police investigations into the gory incident had not commenced, even as he suspected some clever moves by the perpetrators to cover up their atrocities.

The former Attorney General argued that since soldiers were on duty without the company of police men, it was an indication that they were on illegal assignment, adding that the vehicle of the deceased had no single bullet scratch on it. He added that this is in addition to the stains of blood which dotted the inside decorations of the car, stressing that the action of the soldiers was replete with suspicion of extra judicial killing.

When Daily Sun visited the police headquarters in Owerri for confirmation, it was gathered that the State Commissioner of Police, Mr. John Morenike had travelled to Oji Police Training School in Enugu State on official engagement, while the command?s spokesman, Mr. Isah Mohammed (DSP) was reported to have traveled to Mecca for lesser Haji in Saudi Arabia.

http://odili.net/news/source/2006/dec/28/809.html

:twisted:  :evil:
Its very sad that such a crime is still very prevalent in ur society.Nnaemeka went home for christmas to have fun with family and friends but met his untimely death in the hands of greedy and heartless soldires. Some very close friends that I talked to in naija reported that the greedy bastards took his money (85,000 naira ) and also his clothes but ended up killing him on his way back from the club.
*****Accept criticism with a spirit of gratitude. Ego tripping is the dance of fools and has no place in the pursuit of excellence.*****
*****Michael Grant*****

festus

Nnaemeka Obieke
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 07:55:29 AM »
This is a very sad event because I know the Obieke family very well. Most of them are Ogssian old boys. I think Chudi, Uzoma, Nnaemeka himself and even his younger brother Nnamdi as well.

This type of wasting of human life is simply a symptom of a deeper problem in Nigeria. It is the same people that made that stupid law that says you can\'t be treated of gun shot wounds unless sanctioned by an inept police that also creates the conditions that make these soldiers and police trigger happy. They are the ones running the country down while driving around in bullet proof luxury cars; no accountability, no sense of responsibility, no good hospitals, no emergency services, no good roads, no regular electricity.

Who deserves to die in this horrible manner in the hands of a bunch of uniformed idiots guiding some General? Most of these so called soldiers just like in Ojukwu?s time can?t even pronounce ?safety catch? and the so called ?General? have never been in any war. Fela Kuti was right in describing it as ?dem all crazy?, ?crazy demonstration? and ?demonstration of craze?.

okey

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 08:56:51 PM »
It was disheartening when i heard this story last year. I wonder if the culprits have been brought to justice or if there are additional updates on this story.

Then again, did they shove the investigation under the rug?
===
Quality is never an accident; It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, Intelligent direction and skillful execution;
It represents the wise choice of many alternatives

NONNIE

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 02:39:39 PM »
It is quite a sad story more especially for a festive period.I heard it on the 26th here in France and was shocked.
I sit back and wonder how things like this still happen in Nigeria when those fools called leaders seat back and tell us that we are in a democratic rule.The military instinct is all over.
Tomorrow they will say Nigerians in dispora are not patriotic.What on earth will encourage anyone to go back home for xmas or even hangout for a day while home. Ruthless bastards!!!!!

Chizi

• http://
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 02:16:53 PM »
This is heart rending. I\'m probably right in assuming that this is a cold case now. This family has been left to pick up the pieces, just like that, no reasonable explanantion, no consolation, bounced around with excuses. That\'s the way it goes in Nigeria. It\'s either you\'re a top-ranking government official, or among the \"important\" and wealthy few, to afford mobile police protection. Otherwise you\'re left unprotected amidst lawless law enforcement agents, who have no sense of integrity or accountability what so ever. The dismal outcomes? Law enforcement agents perpetrating crimes, lives unjustly lost, hopes and dreams suddenly dashed. I can\'t even start to imagine a resolution to these problems, or how it can be facilitated. We do have a long way to go. In the mean time, it\'s watch your back and pray as you go. Whatever happens happens.
<div>Little minds are subdued by misfortune, but great minds rise by it. <br /></div>

uapo4

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 08:06:13 PM »
Chizi, kedu kwanu?  I hope things are well for the most part.

Regarding the family, I really don\'t have any words to offer than my heartfelt condolences to them. This is a good example of \"Life isn\'t fair sometimes\", but the worse part about this case is action has apparently not been taken to punish and reduce this kind of horrific action taking place in the future. :evil:
"Incline Thy ear, O Lord, and hear me: for I am needy and poor" -- Psalm lxxxv. 1

Chizi

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 05:25:21 PM »
O di mma, things are well over here indeed, and vice versa, I hope. Take care.
<div>Little minds are subdued by misfortune, but great minds rise by it. <br /></div>