Author Topic: Foreign Relations or Foreign Affairs, Which?  (Read 5704 times)

Prince

Foreign Relations or Foreign Affairs, Which?
« on: March 19, 2005, 08:31:10 PM »

Man In Court For Spreading Love. (By The Guardian Newpapers)

Abuja: A middle-aged businessman, Andrew Igbo, yesterday appeared before an Abuja Chief Magistrate\'s Court for allegedly having sex with a housewife.

The man, who lives in Maitama area of Abuja was arraigned on a three-count charge of criminal intimidation, adultery and resisting arrest, offences, which the prosecution said contravened the penal code.

He was accused of having illegal sexual intercourse with one Mrs. Stanislava Falci, a Bulgarian of Dantata and Sawoe Life Camp, Abuja.

Prosecuting police officer, ASP Joseph Umoru, told Magistrate Othman Musa that the incident was reported by Mr. Fabio Faci, an Italian and husband of the woman.
He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.

If you s-m-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-l-l-l-l-l-l-l what the Prince - is - cooking!!

(Adapted from WWE’s Rock.)

Chizi

• http://
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 11:54:10 PM »
I don\'t quite get this one.
<div>Little minds are subdued by misfortune, but great minds rise by it. <br /></div>

Susia

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 12:07:13 AM »
illegal sexual Intercourse??. How sure are they that it was not consensual, or it is because she is from a foreign country.
Begin with the determination to suceed and the work is half done already.

Prince

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 02:06:35 AM »
Nkita siri, \"ahuru a nyuru n\'elu gbara m anya gharii.\"  Regarding this case, my own gharii-ness is undescribable.

Illegal sex with another man\'s wife as opposed to legal sex?  Wouldn\'t it be like legal adultry?  You\'re probably right, Susia.  I guess it\'s the foreign aspect of the sex that made it illegal.

If you s-m-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-l-l-l-l-l-l-l what the Prince - is - cooking!!

Chizi

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 02:26:19 AM »
I was wondering what exactly constitutes \"illegal sex\". That\'s what dazed me. Criminal intimidation, I don\'t quite get that either, did he use a weapon to intimidate the woman into having sex with him? If so, then the right word is \"Rape\". I don\'t see that word anywhere in the article. Being charged for resisting arrest I can swallow, but talking about being charged to court for adultery, hmm, we\'re not talking Sharia here are we? This is a warped \"foreign affair\" o!
<div>Little minds are subdued by misfortune, but great minds rise by it. <br /></div>

Honeybunnie

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 03:09:31 AM »
Illegal sex, would depend on the laws of the jurisdiction in which the guy had commited the sex act with the woman.Illegal sex in some states in the US is for a man to have unprotected sex with a female in which case an STD is contracted b ythe woman. The other charges shouldn\'t be too much of a surprise, for example in Arkansas, you can have to pay a fine of between $20 and $100 for adultery while you could pay as much as $1000.00 in California. If the guy is charged with adultery, then it must mean that it is a crime in ABuja to commit adultery and get caught. I\'m sure if you did some research on the laws in the FCT jurisdiction, the story wouldn\'t appear weird anymore.

Susia

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2005, 03:42:52 AM »
@Yvonne, we are talking about Abuja in Nigeria, and you are talking about Arkansas and Cali.

Which kind of law is that? Illegal sexual Intercourse? at least the didn\'t say she was \"raped\". That would have been a different situation if that was the case.
Where did the criminal Intimidation part come into play?.

Nnaa meeen, hapu ihe edere na moto banye na moto...... o wu ma ambulance!!!!!!
Begin with the determination to suceed and the work is half done already.

Honeybunnie

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005, 04:02:19 AM »
Susia, I lived in Abuja most of my life, so I know where we are talking about. If you think that they are doing something wrong then maybe you should do some research and let us know what you find on the laws in Abuja. I only used the American states to explain my views that different places have different laws. Just because Nigeria is still a third world country does not mean that we do not have laws that we abide by especially in ABuja which is the capital of the country. Moreover, the story you read is not complete so don\'t draw conclusions yet, they didn\'t give you the details, so don\'t just be thrown off by the little you read, the Guardian would have made some noise or raised issues about it if what the prosecutors are charging is wrong. I still keep my grounds, that the laws in ABuja might make it a crime to commit adultery, we can\'t tell from the story what criminal intimidation is, but I am sure that the lawyers in Abuja know rape when they see one, and would have charged rape if that was the case!!!!

Prince

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2005, 05:02:14 AM »
This is so over my head, both in the comprehension and rationality department, all I can do is nod my head like the red head lizard.

As for the NIgeian legal system, we have more twists and turns than a bowl of spaghetti.

Chizi

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2005, 07:31:38 AM »
Umunne m, I committed a blunder. The American Heritage Dictionary defines ?adultery? as ?Voluntary sexual intercourse between a married person and a partner other than the lawful spouse.?
It?s amazing how much we don?t know despite all we pride ourselves in knowing. For some reason, I was under the impression that adultery implied consensual sexual relationship between two single, legally viable people (with regard to age), and that was why I couldn?t imagine charges being pressed for that. Now that I know better, the charges make sense. Biblically, adultery is adultery, that I am sure of. This article subtly implies that there could be a legal and an illegal one?hmm. Let me stop this far. I hope this audience is lenient enough to pardon my transient artlessness.

Prince

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2005, 09:09:37 AM »
No, Chizi, you are not wrong.  Yes, the definition is also right.  The terms, consensual and voluntary, are only mitigating as to the weight of the crime.  Its voluntary nature is unrelated to the criminality of the act.  There is a sexual intercourse.  If it is not voluntary or consensual, on the part of either adult participant, we have rape.  There is forcible rape and there is statutory rape.  There is also defilement, sex with a minor.  Lawyers come in and muddy up the water; we don\'t know which side is up anymore.  

Adultery is against the law, it is illegal.   One can only be charged with adultery, not illegal adultry.  It used to be actionable in this country.  You could sue a man or woman for committing adultery with your spouse and it would be punishable, if there is a conviction.

There used to be a time, in this country, when killing a person who violates your bed was not punishable.  Nobody would even bring it to trial.  But the killing has to be such that it would not be seen as premeditated.  You would be protected by the provocation provision.

Those were the good old days.  The laws are still in the books, though.  It\'s just that society\'s morality has so delapidated that even litigating such a case would be laughable, thanks to fancy lawyers and moral decadence.

Now, there is another thing called fornication.  This would be consensual sexual activity by unmaried people.  It is, therefore, possible for both adultry and fornication to be committed during one sexual act.  If one partner is married and the other is not, the married person would be an adulterer or adulteress, while the unmarried partner would be a fornicator.

Honeybunnie

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2005, 07:05:40 PM »
Good analogy on this one Prince, I must have missed it back when you posted it! But then the question is, why isn\'t fornication on the part of the unmarried person illegal?

UzoLance

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2005, 10:08:29 AM »
Going by the laws, it looks like some crimes or what some may consider crimes against morality go unpunished or rarely have consequence. No wonder today, a deed such as fornication is only considered wrong when the participants are caught and it\'s evident someones feelings, trust or personality is hurt. On most cases as long as the deeds go unnoticed, consequences are irrelevant as well. As for fornication being a crime, a country where certain human rights laws are in place such as USA and all that talk about 18 being an adult, reactions to fornication could be a \"mind your own business\" type especially when it involves two concenting unmarried adults. This doesn\'t however mean there hasn\'t been laws in this country (possibility of other countries greatly existing) that  are anti-fornication as i found in this little piece in my quest to unravel the answer to HB\'s question;

A Charlotte, North Carolina, federal judge told a man that if he wanted to be released on bail he would have to stop living in sin, because doing so violates an 1805 anti-fornication law, which reads: ?If any man and woman, not being married to each other, shall lewdly and lasciviously associate, bed and cohabit together, they shall be guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor.?

This meaning these laws existed and surely still exist but are just on the books as was clearly stated by Prince.
And to add a little to what was said, Fornication and Adultry can be comitted at the same time. When an unmarried person engages in sexual intercourse with a married person, the unmarried commits fornication because he/ she is unmarried and adultry because the other participant is married. The unmarried commits the two deeds for these two apply to him/ her too.

http://www.sodomylaws.org/usa/virginia/vanews147.htm
Hight and Age doesnt depict Maturity.

Honeybunnie

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2005, 06:49:36 PM »
UzoL, thanks for this piece, that was very insightful!