Author Topic: Virgin Nigeria will become Africa?s pride  (Read 7065 times)

okey

Virgin Nigeria will become Africa?s pride
« on: April 07, 2005, 01:25:19 AM »
Virgin Atlantic Airways has said it was determined to help build Virgin Nigeria Airways, Nigeria?s new nation carrier, to become a credible world class airline.
Unveiling the global carrier?s plans in Bombay, India, Virgin?s Chief Executive Officer, Richard Branson said it would make Virgin Nigeria the pride of Africa.

Branson said Virgin Atlantic had laid out aggressive plans in many international markets, including the US, India, Nigeria and the Bahamas.

He said Virgin Atlantic would also help build a national airline for Nigeria.

?Nigeria, which is one of the largest oil producers, does not have a national airline and we will help build it. An airline that would be best in Africa and make the Africans proud,? he said.

for more ont his story: http://odili.net/news/source/2005/apr/6/547.html

What are your thoughts on this story? Do you think Nigeria has finally secured it national carrier?
===
Quality is never an accident; It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, Intelligent direction and skillful execution;
It represents the wise choice of many alternatives

Honeybunnie

Virgin Nigeria will become Africa’s pride
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 04:55:11 AM »
Anything Sir Branson has touched has basically turned to gold, he started his business from scratch and look where he is, what with Virgin Mobile and all his other companies. But this is NIgeria, I will keep my fingers crossed, that this plan of his materializes. As long as he keeps thr running of this airline to himself he will be fine, but if he were to mistakenly give the management over to a Nigerian, sorry to say, but it\'ll only be a matter of time before the whole thing turns into OKada air.

okey

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 09:13:39 AM »
PENDING the conclusion of arrangements for its international operations, Virgin Nigeria, the nation\'s flag carrier may begin test flights on domestic routes on Monday. advertisement
The airline, The Guardian learnt, will first operate to Abuja and Port Harcourt from Lagos before it expands operations to other parts of the country

http://odili.net/news/source/2005/apr/13/38.html
===
Quality is never an accident; It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, Intelligent direction and skillful execution;

sly

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 06:31:00 AM »
Hbunnie ur right, anything that works well in other countries has a reason not to work in nig. I hope this virgin Atlantic thing works. It will not be a crime for us  to have direct flights from nig to the US. Its cheaper and shorter that way we dont have to travel the whole world before getting to nig or coming to the US. Moreso, they will start with new or durable airplanes that wont break down every now and then thereby keeping passengers stranded or even endangering their lives. The last time I was in nig I vowed never to fly any nig airline after me and my cousin nearly died of heart attack after a trip from PH to lagos aboard nig airways.
*****Accept criticism with a spirit of gratitude. Ego tripping is the dance of fools and has no place in the pursuit of excellence.*****
*****Michael Grant*****

kenmartins

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 06:52:15 AM »
Sly, where u fly Nigerian Airways? u know when Nigerian airways fly last? it was decades ago.

tsly

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 08:40:59 AM »
Quote from: \"sly\"
The last time I was in nig I vowed never to fly any nig airline after me and my cousin nearly died of heart attack after a trip from PH to lagos aboard nig airways.

My brotha, even without virgin naija, you either fly our regular flying coffins or take EKENE DIRI CHUKWU

that\'s one na one trip i will never make. It\'\'s almost a 12 - 16hr trip. Assuming no bandits, rain and good roads

kenmartins

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2005, 08:40:58 AM »
Why u go enter ekenedirichukwu or somethin\', u no see ABC transport???

sly

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 09:50:03 PM »
Kenmartins, I flew Nig Airways from PH TO Lag in 2001 after we could not get a ticket to fly aero contractors which leaves fom PH airforce base. I dont know abt decades ago. As at 2002, nig airways was still operating domestic flights, I dont know abt today.
*****Accept criticism with a spirit of gratitude. Ego tripping is the dance of fools and has no place in the pursuit of excellence.*****
*****Michael Grant*****

Susia

• http://
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 06:04:25 AM »
I know there was a Nigerian airways like 2 or 3 years ago but if i am not mistakenly, i think they are out of business now.
Begin with the determination to suceed and the work is half done already.

okey

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 09:53:31 AM »
two years ago i went back to Nigeria, I saw a couple Nigerian Airways planes parked at the airport (LOS), all covered in green grass, and dirt all over the plane.
I figured that was the end of that era.
On a side note:
http://odili.net/news/source/2005/apr/18/405.html
An agreement between the United Kingdom and the United States has, for now, stalled hopes of direct flights between Lagos and New York though Nigeria has nothing to do with it.

But Abuja has withdrawn the approval it granted Continental Airlines (CA) to operate flights between the two cities in retaliation against the ban the United States placed on Virgin Nigeria Airways (VNA) from its airspace.
===

okey

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2005, 04:57:37 AM »
VIRGIN Nigeria will make its first international flight to New York and London by mid June, Sir Richard Branson has said on Wednesday in Lagos. Branson\'s Virgin Atlantic holds 49 per cent equity in Virgin Nigeria

Branson, who arrived on Wednesday from London with his parents -Ted and Eve for a meeting with Virgin Nigeria\'s Chairman, Mr. Felix Ohiwerei, on final preparations to get the airline fully operational, said that sceptics would be shamed by the efficiency and profitability of Virgin Nigeria.

Branson also said that he would invest in the telecommunications sector and might pump some money into Vmobile for its expansion.

He said that the airline would make its debut with nine brand new planes.

Virgin Nigeria, a replacement of defunct state-owned Nigeria Airways is owned by the Nigerian government and Branson with his airline, Virgin Atlantic as core investor.

Virgin Nigeria made its debut on the local scene with a demonstration flight to Abuja late in April.

http://odili.net/news/source/2005/may/13/52.html
===

chizor

• http://
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2005, 02:26:06 PM »
Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant, and she fell on me. Then it wouldn\'t seem quite so funny.
--Jack Handey,