Author Topic: LAGOS: Police Commander Defends N20 Bribe  (Read 6407 times)

Prince

LAGOS: Police Commander Defends N20 Bribe
« on: March 24, 2005, 07:14:08 PM »

Instead of barking as Pres Obasanjo does, albeit without bite, a Police Commander explains away the practice of forced bribery by the polece.  If I didn\'t know any better, I would think the man straight forwardly endorses the practice.  Should we be shocked?
Daily Independent
Why police collect N20 bribe ?Area ?G? commander
By Sebastine Ebhuomhan, Reporter, Lagos

The practice of demanding N20 bribe from motorists by men of the Nigeria Police Force is a psychological problem with generic link to the society, so says Sam Ojehume, a deputy commissioner of police. The officer spoke exclusively to Daily Independent recently after a security interactive session with members of the industrial community in Lagos.

Ojehume, who is the commander, Area ?G? Police Command, Lagos, lamented the plight of the police, which he said the junior officers cannot bear like their senior counterparts, hence more often than not they resort to the shameful act of demanding gratification from members of the public in the course of performing their duties.

?The job of the police is a very risky one. Everyday we entrust them with the security of our lives and properties. Yet, they are on salary of N10,000. And they are doing effective job, face-to-face with criminals. They have seen their colleagues felled by the bullets of criminals. Their colleagues were not treated by any authority free-of-charge. It is usually policemen that gather money to treat such people. These things make them to reflect. They are abnormal situations in Nigeria; that when a policeman is wounded his colleagues would begin to gather money either to buy coffin or treat the person in hospital. These are the shocks we the senior officers absorb, which the juniors find unrealistic and irrational today,? he said.

The police chief charged the public to reflect on the plight of policemen, which, according to him, begs for attention, instead of emphasising the inadequacies of members of the force. Notwithstanding, in his views the police have done comparatively well in their duties. ?Yes, the police is corrupt, but when you look at N20, the impression is that a man born of a woman, coming from a good home and with a decent background would not stand on the road to collect N20 in his uniform. So, you see that it is a psychological disposition. Let me say that 80 per cent of policemen would not like to be on the roads forever. They are people who could make the maximum use of whatever they have rather than the shame, humiliation and temptation and the after-effect of the big cross such as dismissal. If you think very well, you will see that the society is generically involved in this matter. Customs men do not take N20. They take thousands and millions and no noise is made. Yet, we all are Nigerians! The politicians that take billions, who speaks against them??
He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.

If you s-m-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-l-l-l-l-l-l-l what the Prince - is - cooking!!

(Adapted from WWE’s Rock.)

Honeybunnie

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 08:06:43 PM »
What this police chief is saying is true. These cops do not get paid enough, it\'s unfortunate that the police is the way that they are but you have to blame it on our economy. 10,000 Naira, what good will that do to someone who has a family of say 5 or 6. Resorting to harrassing the public shouldn\'t be the case though, why can\'t the police go on strike or maybe form some sort of union to bargain for an increase in pay. Look how much we spend on \'roads\', even though I never notice any improvements, I am sure that we can afford to pay our cops a  lot more than 10000 Naira. I tell you, 10000 is money that you can blow off in 1 week, and not even feel like you had any money to begin with, and this amount is what they are being paid for an entire month. We really are not taking security of our citizens that seriously if you ask me, Consider the American police, even if they are not the highest paid set of people, it\'s made up for them by their coverage for health etc. The state of the Nigeria police is really sad, but I know that they can be salvaged from this mess.

Susia

• http://
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 09:16:06 PM »
GBAMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This brings me back to my arguement in the guest book. The Police Commander has spoken well and i agree with him 100%.

Like I was saying in the guest book, I dont blame the Police department for collecting money, running when thieves are around etc. Check this:
 With the prizes of things in 9ja, what is a Police officer going to do with N10,000. I mean an undergrad in FUTO probably spend N10,000 in at most 2weeks jus for himself ooooooo, now u going to pay a police officer with a family N10, 000/month for Foods, utilities,rent, bills, and other miscellenous.
 They dont have Health Insurance, life Insurance, etc.They learn from their  collegue that passed away. The government does nothing to protect them  so hey.. they got to fend for themsleves.
 Custom Officers, Ministers of ......,  basically all those people in high places embezzle funds, i mean billions and billions of funds, and its all ok but when a Police man asks for N10 then all hell break loose. These police men got to eat and that is their only way of survival.
 I dont blame them when they run for thieves, guess what? when the die, the government will not carter for the officers kids ect.
 Look at the American Law enforcement, the benefitting funeral the officer gets let alone, the money and life Insurance the officer got to sustain their families when he dies.
 Oh well the whole Country is corrupt and most people tend to focus only on the officers taking N10 or N20 here and there as opposed to focusing on those looting billions and billions.
Begin with the determination to suceed and the work is half done already.

Prince

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 09:25:53 PM »
Elder Hb, I can\'t agree with you more.  But he is saying the right thing at the wrong time, wrong place, and wrong reason.

It would have served him and the force better if, prior to this fracas, he had gone to the House, or some appropriate forum, to plead the case for the NPF.  Instead, he is saying, or at least implying, that we, the commoners, should pay for the mistakes and neglects of the high and mighty.

He made his remark, addressing the question of Police corruption in Nigeria, following recent events of the Police shooting innocent civilians, for their mopney.  And how do we describe armed robbery, again?

He never once expressed remorse, or offered any kind of mea culpa, on behalf of the NPF for these atrocious happenings.  He is a pitiful deplomat and administrator.

Ultimate member, Susia, it\'s hard to justify the conduct of the Police by their abject condition.  Can anyone remind me where all their predicament is the fault of law abiding citizens?  They have a legitimate cause, which ought to channelled properly.  Even a threat of a strike will avail much.  But blatant armed robbery?  Not the way to go and cannot be justified.  We cannot be victimized twice.

If you s-m-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-l-l-l-l-l-l-l what the Prince - is - cooking!!

Susia

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 09:42:14 PM »
Yea  he prolly saying the right thing at the wrong place and wrong time ....... etc, but guess what? Do you think that Nobody knows about the state of the NPF, Do you think that this is a new thing in the economy. they government knows about all this delimma,but apparently they just playing ignorant, and taking care of other things that the deem important.
That they Police commissioner spoke abt it doesn\'t mean it a new thing. Its been in place since, jeeez.......
Going to the House or wherever to plead the case for teh NFP will not make an atom of difference. They house knows about all this Bs going to but like i said, it aint that important in their agenda right now. And since the govt is doing nothing about it, guess who is bearing the burden, \"US\".
Now am not implying the NFP shld go around killing innocent souls.
The killing of the guys in the cars could be justified and i will tell you how:
1. When a Police officer stops your car, you have to stop. You dont just think ...Oh 9ja police they lookin gfor money, i am not going to stop cos now they thinking thats the only reason why the cops stop pple.
2. the police cld have thought that it was a robbery, that they car was stolen, cos that one of the reason pple dont stop when asked to stop.

I mean I cld keep going on and on.

Strike ke? I dont think strike will make a diference, these pple dont care , remeber they\'ve got their own personal bodyguards etc. Strikes doesn\'t solve matters in 9ja. Look at when ASUU went on strike for 6months, did the federal govt give a rat ass, NO because their kids go to school abroad ect, no on cared. When Th ewent on strike for high prizes on the fuel ( two weeks), did they care, NO, they \'ve got gallons and gallons of  fuel in thier respective houses. Puhleeeeezzzzzzzz, strikes does nothing biko.
Begin with the determination to suceed and the work is half done already.

Honeybunnie

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 10:21:59 PM »
I think that the Nigerianf Police Force\'s dilemma has been shunned for too long. I don\'t think that the deaths of civilians can be justified in any way. Thes epolice officers knew that that was a shuttle service, they know those bus drivers well and they had no right to shoot at them.

They need to form a union of some sort, maybe a strike would be far stretch, but I honestly have never heard of the Nigerian police on strike. It makes you wonder what might happen if they do go on strike...1) the number of armed robberies will increase 2) I\'m sure the striking officers might even take part in these robberies 3) This could lead to some sort of civil unrest.  When the pulic outcry increases, I am sure that the country will be forced to take note.

How can they be paid peanuts over the amount that is being put in the pockets of the Nigerian politicians. If I wasn\'t into doing my own thing right now, I wouldn\'t mind taking some time off to have a heart to heart with Obj. He needs to add these things to his anti-corruption campaign... They should increase the pay of these cops, that would go a long way, at least for a start.

Prince

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 10:54:44 PM »
The plight of police officers, in Nigeria, is common knowledge.  It has been like that forever, granted.  They have my sympathy.  

We can make all sorts of excuse for their behavior.  But this issue is straight as an arrow.  Although their parctice, including the \"return scheme,\" which involves every cop all the way to the Fed, is well known,  and for which the populace does not begrudge them, this is a treamlined case.

It\'s not unclear, to the commander, what the issue was.  He did not cite crime in his remark.  As I said, the story is straight.
YET, another attempt by a motorist to abide by the directive of the new Inspector-General of Police, Sunday Ehindero, not to give \"bribe\" to the police has ended in disaster.

Policemen at a checkpoint on Abuja-Lokoja-Okene Road chased and opened fire on the law-abiding motorist\'s commercial vehicle, thus causing an accident in which two passengers died and several others were injured.

The bus driver had allegedly refused to part with any \"donation\" and had sped off. However, the infuriated policemen gave a chase and one of them opened fire on the vehicle deflating the tyres and causing the bus to somersault into a ditch.

I\'m not oblivious to the plight of the members of the NPF.  But we\'ve got to call a spade, a spade.  The story line tells it all.  Observe the highlighted lines.  They are the basis of my case.
1) Motorists have been instructed, by the IG, to ignore these highway IRS.
2) The report clearly labels the driver as \"law-abiding,\" implying that he did all that he was supposed to do, within the law.
3) Notice that the victim driver was not said to have crashed the checkpoint.  The driver refused to pay, implying that his vehicle had been checked, but was chased for pullung off without talking to Caesar.

Regarding the strike, I suggested \"a threat of,\" not an actual, strike.  Anyway I was just saying that, to express that anything is better than abandoning a checkpoint and giving chase, with intent to murder.

There are other ways Police predicament can be alleviated, including, but not limited to, permitting them to moonlight.  Schools, offices, financial establishment, convoys, factories, etc could use seasoned armed guards.

Honeybunnie

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 11:31:41 PM »
Uzoma, sorry I read post and I just loved your idea, and I had to quote you on here because it does apply to this thread as well.

Quote from: \"uapo4\"
In addition, I think they should take special, I mean very special attention to the police and homeland security of Nigeria. Right now, I am not and by God\'s grace, I will never be an advocate for the devil...but if one should spring up and give it a serious thought, it is very easy to terrorize the life of citizens in Nigeria through less-than-sophisticated terrorism means. Nigeria is fortunate not to have natural disasters like earthquake, snow blizzard and stuff like that, yet the money that other countries spend on fixing those damages, Nigeria has it wasting and you tell me we can\'t give police men competitive offers??!!

The police men don\'t really need competitive salaries, but sure can be paid something very decent and then given incentives. What do I mean? For instance, children of police men could be given free education (say up to four of them before they start having batallion of 11 kids) as long as the parent(s) in the police force is holding up to the values. That much we can do!

uapo4

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 11:49:52 PM »
Please replace that \"devil\'s advocate\" with \"advocate for the devil\" because they are somewhat different actually :)
"Incline Thy ear, O Lord, and hear me: for I am needy and poor" -- Psalm lxxxv. 1

Honeybunnie

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 12:27:50 AM »
That has been taken care of Uzo :!:

Prince

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2005, 11:06:35 AM »
I\'m confused here.  Please, people, help me out.  Let me get this clear.  The NPF does not pay its members well.  To augment their poor wages, it\'s OK to chase after law-abiding citizens, pull rifles, cock them, and actually fire into a moving vehicle.  As a result of their action, innocent citizens die.  I\'m sorry, if I don\'t buy that justification.

They are lucky they are paid, albeit little.  What about teachers?  Everybody knows they are the worst paid civil servants in the country.  sometimes, they go unpaid for months.  Is it OK for them to rob the students and possibly beat them to death?

When teachers air their grivances, they go to the ministry or Secretariate.  When oil workes have a complaint, they go to thir employers, or the ministry.  When students have a thing to say, they go to the appropriate quarters.  Whaht so different about Policemen, that the only avenue open for them to demand better is go to civilians and kill them if they don\'t give.  With excuses being made for them, I\'m more confused than ever.

Are we thinking about the family of the victims?  How many high school kids are gonna drop out because of this?  While the policemen go back to their families, some housewife has forever lost the sole bread winner of the family.  

We all know that this has a domino effect and the line is long.  If we can justify this abomination, why do we sit here and frown at bribery and corruption, which do not claim lives.

Honeybunnie

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2005, 08:23:14 PM »
I cannot help but agree with you Prince,  but then again, we should be talking about a solution, or what we would see as a solution to their crisis. I cannot stand to think of one good reason why it is okay for the Nigerian police to harrass it\'s citizens, it is outright WRONG. But then we cannot ignore that they are not paid enough, they have families to feed, their plight has gone on for quite a long time and no questions have been raised and the entire country has turned their back to the whole thing, maybe hoping that it is some kinda nuisance that would just go away, unfortunately it won\'t. If you ask me, I think they need to be reformed, paid better and trained better. All these are things that our country can afford, so why don\'t we do it. We have the resources, yet we spend our money on unneccessary things such as lavish meetings and trips for our president etc. the governor\'s themselves spend their money on supposed \"construction\", which noone ever sees.

I am getting tired of talking about Nigeria\'s problems, nothing good seems to come out of that country, it is always some bad news or the other.

Prince

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2005, 10:22:23 PM »
Hb, spoken like a sage, as always.  Two things are known: Their actions, here, are deplorable.  Two, They are poorly paid, and something needs be done.

The first should be addressed instantly, to make an example of these armed robbers in government uniform.  They have to know that this is not acceptable.  Capital punishment should not be taken off the table.  Families of the victims, not just the dead, but also those, whose lives were traumatized as a result, must be handsomely compensated.

This should be followed immediately by talks about upping police salary.  My suggestion is they should be paid a salary one scale below the boys in the military.  If a private in the army is paid at level 12, a police private should be paid at level 11 or its equivalence.  Members of the NPF should be entitled to the same benefits accorded the military.

Such benefits would include: free uniforms and accessories; free food or food allowance for police families; free housing or housing allowance for off barrack residents; health benefit to include hospitalization, dental, and, life insurance.  A good retirement package should be worked out for them.

The NPF should be adequately armed to take on they very risky jobs.  Stuff like quality body armor, automatic weapons, side arms, protective headgear, night vision goggles, dependable personal communication system, computers, speed control devices, squad cars, video cameras, and adequate crowd control equipments.  Their duty is to protect us; the government?s duty is to protect them

I think this will help stem the activities of out-of-control policemen.  It\'s only a start.  As we go along, a little fattening will be recommended, as Nigeria is able.

I think this will help stem the activities of out-of-control policemen.  It\'s only a start.  As we go along, a little fattening will be recommended, as Nigeria is able.

Prince

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2005, 06:43:33 PM »
POLICE SHOOTING UPDATE.

The two victims of Police shooting are said to be university students.  Reportedly, although seriously in the thigh, they are still alive.  pandemonium still rages.  The Police Chief, commendably, has extended an olive branch.
Uproar in Ilorin over Police shooting
From Abiodun Fagbemi,Ilorin

POLICE authorities in the Kwara State command are investigating the alleged shooting by a policeman of an undergraduate of University of Uyo, Goke Olatunji and a Junior Secondary School student, Fatima Ibrahim, at Oja Oba, Ilorin, yesterday, when the driver of a commercial car in which hey were travelling refused to give gratification to the policeman.

The incident, which led to a mob action on the policeman and caused his colleagues to run for cover, caused heavy human and vehicular traffic on the busy road. The incident occurred at about 4 p.m.

Although, Olatunji and Ibrahim did not die, they sustained severe bullet wounds on their thighs.

They are at present on admission at the emergency wing of University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital, (UITH), Ilorin.

Sources said the policeman had ordered the driver of the starlet car to stop \"for a search,\" an order to which the driver reportedly obeyed.

\"But after the so called search the police told the driver that he would not allow him to go until he had \'settled him; the driver however, refused to meet this demand.

\"The driver who allegedly told the police of a new order that both the giver and the receiver of bribe are guilty, had started the car and moved. It seemed the policeman had actually aimed at the tyre but the gun missed the target and instead hit these people, added a witness accounts.

The state\'s Police Commissioner, Mr. Buka Maina visited the hospital and gave a cash gift of N5,000 to each of the patients, with a promise that the erring police would be brought to book.
Full story: http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/news/article03

nworisara

Bribery is a balancing mecanism by nature
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 07:16:53 PM »
Sometimes ,it is easy to criticize situations such as bribery in the nigerian police force. But if we are more circumspect we would discover that nigeria has a unique system of government that runs contrary to all known dictates of natural laws.in other words ,bribery in a wrong system can be justified.the condition of service of the police is criminally unsupportable and breeds bribery because nature has a way of ensuring
that humanity survives hash situations through adaptation.
The nigerian police is adapting to criminal neglect from an insensitive government machinery that expects miracles from porely clothed .poorely fed, poorely housed and poorely renumerated men and women with families to care for.
Which is the greater evil,bribery or starvation?This is the question that confronts us here.
An aspirant to Nigerian Presidency1992,2003