Author Topic: Buhari asks govt to expose owners of $170b foreign accounts  (Read 3450 times)

okey

By Idowu Ajanaku
FORMER Head of State and presidential candidate of the All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP) in the 2003 general elections, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, has challenged President Olusegun Obasanjo\'s aadministration to expose those Nigerians who have a total of $170 billion lodged in foreign accounts.

According to Buhari, if the on-going anti-graft crusade is really genuine, it should go beyond the arrest of erstwhile Inspector-General of Police, Tafa Balogun, and the sack of two ministers.

Buhari, who spoke in an interview with The Guardian in Lagos at the weekend, said for this reason, the chances of Nigeria getting debt relief were rather slim.

Buhari is still in court challenging the victory of President Obasanjo in the 2003 elections.

On the withheld Lagos council funds, Buhari observed: \"I think this government should be ashamed of itself that it has failed to honour the ruling of the highest court in the land. I must say here that Governor Bola Tinubu must stand in the interest of democracy\".

Buhari, who was in Lagos to attend the June 12 rally, saluted the courage of Tinubu for standing up to oppression and dictatorship. \"History, I believe, will be kind to him (Tinubu) for standing for what is right and for what he believed in\", Buhari declared.

To him, Tinubu\'s action could be linked to the principled stand of the late Moshood Abiola who stood his ground in the wake of the crisis, resulting from the annulled June 12, 1993, presidential election.

\"If Tinubu and his people believe they need more local councils and it is created in line with the provision of the constitution, let it be\", he said.

Reminded that the apex court said the additional 37 councils created could not benefit from the fund, Buhari replied: \"But the Lagos State government did not ask for additional funds. Besides, the Supreme Court did not say they were not legally created. Has Obasanjo given them the money and Lagos State spent it on 37 local councils? The fact remains that President Obasanjo has no legal authority to withhold the funds\".

On his historic visit to Afenifere office in Lagos, Buhari said the Yoruba are noted for justice and fair play. This, he said, has been demonstrated several times by the leadership of Afenifere over the years.

His words: \"The fact that the Yoruba today are speaking about injustice and corruption that are going on within the Obasanjo government is an indication that they believe in the unity of this country\".

While extending his hand of fellowship to the leadership of the South-West, Buhari noted that he believed in the principles of democratic rule and a free system where Nigerians are given the opportunities to elect their leaders.

To him, therefore, democracy may not thrive if there is no credible election like that of June 12, 1993.
===
Quality is never an accident; It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, Intelligent direction and skillful execution;
It represents the wise choice of many alternatives

uapo4

• http://
Re: Buhari asks govt to expose owners of $170b foreign accou
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 05:25:16 PM »
Quote from: \"okey\"

By Idowu Ajanaku
FORMER Head of State and presidential candidate of the All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP) in the 2003 general elections, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, has challenged President Olusegun Obasanjo\'s aadministration to expose those Nigerians who have a total of $170 billion lodged in foreign accounts.

Somebody tell me that is not true  :? . Isn\'t that amount of money about 4 times the national debt of Nigeria? 8O
"Incline Thy ear, O Lord, and hear me: for I am needy and poor" -- Psalm lxxxv. 1

okey

Buhari asks govt to expose owners of $170b foreign accounts
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 05:00:13 AM »
AND YOU WONDER WHY THEY FIND IT HARD FORGIVING NIGERIA\'S DEBTH
===
Quality is never an accident; It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, Intelligent direction and skillful execution;
It represents the wise choice of many alternatives