Author Topic: WHO OWNS THE BASTARD CHILD?  (Read 4540 times)

chelsea

WHO OWNS THE BASTARD CHILD?
« on: June 26, 2006, 04:50:52 PM »
We were having this arguement in my office so i decided to solicit your help.If a baby results from a relationship btw an unmarried couple in an  African setting, who gets custody of the baby.I think people who have studied Nigerian law  will be of most help.

I don\'t know the law that well but i know that they take customary law into consideration.

For instance, in my own village somewhere in Anambra State, the girl\'s family takes custody of any child born out of wedlock.That is the custom and i understand it applies in almost all communities in the state.so what do u guys think?
TO THINE OWNSELF BE TRUE

kenmartins

hi
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 08:31:12 AM »
I believe the girl\'s family takes the baby unless in some cases, if they can\'t afford to take care of the baby then the guy can have him/her.

chelsea

who owns the bastard child
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 03:02:49 PM »
From the biological point of view! The bastard belongs to the man and woman. In the event that they each want to claim separate ownership of the child, I think it is left for a court of competent jurisdiction to determine that. It should be done not on the ground that the man had not paid dowry / bride price but on the current circumstances surrounding the parties involved.

It should bother around issues like ... who has edequate finance for the child\'s upbringing, age of the baby, sanityof either of the parents etc.

In all these, the babies interest most be paramount and be the yardstick for decision making.

I feel it would be seen as share wickedness to prevent the man from custody ofthe child merely because of bride price. In all these, the baby would someday look for the father.

Patrick Ijomah
TO THINE OWNSELF BE TRUE

kenmartins

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 03:16:56 PM »
Hey, did u graduate from GSSO in 2002?

chelsea

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 04:04:44 PM »
Kenmartins, who is the question for, chelsea or Patrick? :?

Don\'t mind Patrick, he is my colleague in the office and he feels so strongly about this topic that he has used my \'name\' to post a reply.

Anyway,Chelsea didn\'t attend gsso, she attended fggc owerri and she\'s class of \'98 not 2002.
TO THINE OWNSELF BE TRUE

KIM

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 12:00:42 AM »
Hey Chelsea,am of the 98 class too.(6U to be exact)
From what I have seen back home,the child stays with the mother\'s family because most times the man is busy denying he has anything to do with the child.