Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
General Discussion / WHY I GOT MARRIED?
« Last post by Chizi on April 04, 2007, 03:19:26 PM »
:lol: But surely guys, it couldn\'t possibly be this bad!! Come on!
Reunion / 11TH ANNUAL NIGERIAN REUNION - DALLAS 2007 ( 4-8th JULY)
« Last post by TINSQUARED on April 04, 2007, 01:05:28 PM »
would love to be there!
Reunion / 11TH ANNUAL NIGERIAN REUNION - DALLAS 2007 ( 4-8th JULY)
« Last post by TINSQUARED on April 04, 2007, 01:04:18 PM »
www.nrconline.com

The registration for the 11th Nigerian Reunion is on, and the venue for this year\'s reunion is Dallas, Texas. The date has been fixed for 4 - 8Th Of July 2007, for more information & registration details log on : www.nrconline.com
Enjoy!

The Big Tin.
Misc topics / Why does the black community hate Nigerians?
« Last post by UzoLance on April 04, 2007, 09:22:13 AM »
I dont really know about carribbeans and latinos but i have experienced this with the african-americans/blacks  in the U.S.A. Not so much directed specifically to Nigerians but just being African is enough.

With Africans themselfs towards Nigerians? I don\'t take it seriously. Thats probably why i\'ve not noticed but i remember playing soccer for a school team in 2003 and the senegalese guy on my team was greatly avoided by me because once he found out i was Nigerian he started playing like my leg was the ball on the field to be kicked, even during practice i feared for my leg.

Anyway, generally, African-Americans have a problem with Africans for some reasons and the reasons are, according to some African-Americans that i spoke to, that Africans come to the U.S with a chip on their shoulder. Africans think African-Americans are too lazy. (Now this one was just dumb) Africans take the jobs that should have been \"RIGHTFULLY\" occupied by African-Americans. Africans generally do not regard African-Americans too.  Usually i would try to make my case with them, show them how wrong they are but not anymore. I\'ve gone that path with them before. It still boils down to the same thing. Stereotype.

Now everyone remark this. Sen Obama if he will loose this election, will loose it because the black community is against him. Not all ofcourse but majority of them whom in my opinion are ill informed and ignorantly go about biasing minds against this black senator. For what reason? This black woman came on 107.9 Radio station to say Obama is not fit to be President because he didnt really know his grandma. According to her any man that did not have a great relationship with his grandmother is not a real man. ( What is she talking about?!!!). Some because he has few years experience in the public office, others for some reason that only boils down to STEREOTYPE between African-Americans and Africans say because he is an African, he doesnt know what the average black American went through or is going through therefore cannot fight accurately for the black man if elected into office.

Gentlemen and Ladies, this man is practically an African-American, who even though his mom was/is white, still married an African-American lady who looks like she can be first Lady any time. What else would make the black community refuse him?

Any black man that is percieved to be core black will not win the presidency. Atleast the white community will see to that. Any Black man that appears to be very white than black will definitely get no support from the black community. Only a black who can fit into both black and white community can have a chance at the presidency and Obama fits that description. Even if he\'s too white, if he goes in there and does a good job, any other black candidate that comes, no matter how core black he is, can feed off the good works of the Preceding black president. Is the black man seeing that? No. What they see is Africa and the african blood that runs in him like they are not Africans themselves. I mean, i have a problem with Obama\'s views, specifically his views on Same-sex union and abortion but for the purpose of this discussion, the African Americans are seeing everything from the wrong side and it has been costing the black man here and will continue to cost them if they dont realize and make a U- turn.

Basically, there is an unfortunate, very very very unfortunate bias that exists in the mind of the African-American against Africans and most likely in the minds of Africans against Black Americans.

Sorry i took this to politics......but...you know.....i had to.
« Last post by okey on April 03, 2007, 08:58:31 PM »
Any thoughts on this article??? Or has anyone had such an experience
« Last post by okey on April 03, 2007, 08:57:19 PM »
Written by Sabella Abidde
If you are a resident of the United States you may have felt or noticed the simmering heat emanating from the tension within the Black community. You may have felt the mutual suspicion and objections and the intense competition between the African-American, Afro-Caribbean and Afro-Latino, and the African communities. There is also the tension within the African community. In some enclaves and professional sectors, the heat stemming from these tensions can be unbearable. Often times one wonders why people with common ancestry, common history and common life experiences engage in self-immolating, self-defeating and self-hating tendencies. What\'s the problem?

Let\'s start with Africans. Most Africans I have come to know or communicated with are suspicious of, and love to hate, Nigerians. I don\'t mean this at the individual level. I am speaking in collective or general terms. Every where I go, I hear Congolese, Togolese, Sierra Leoneans, Liberians and South Africans and others speak ill of Nigerians. They hate the fact that Nigerians are \"too aggressive,\" \"too dishonest,\" \"love to show off their wealth,\" and are \"always loud.\" They associate Nigerians (and Nigerians only) with \"419\" even when their own nationals have been caught committing criminal offences.

Personally, I don\'t know what it means to be \"too aggressive.\" Does it mean that Nigerians have a quicker and better understanding of systems and societies they find themselves in? Does it mean that Nigerians, by virtue of their worldview, education, and experiences, get acculturated better and faster than other Africans? Does it mean they know how to stretch and bend rules to suit their conditions? Does it mean that Nigerians are generally never afraid or intimidated of their new environment? Whatever \"too aggressive\" means, they are always grateful when Nigerians show them the ropes, help them out of difficult situations and introduce them to wider circle of benefits.

To be a Nigerian in some cities and in some ethnic enclaves is to be a pariah. Africans from Mozambique, Tanzania, Botswana, Angola, Zambia, Kenya and other East and Southern African countries can\'t tell enough of the \"monsters and crooks\" living in their countries. I hear it every time. And indeed, some Africans are not happy with the fact that Nigerians have a huge presence in their educational system.

That Nigerians are the nou’veaux riches in some of these African countries is a source of jealousy. Sadly, when confronted, most of these Africans have never associated with or personally known such new-Nigerians. They\'ve only \"heard of Nigerians\" who fit their flawed expectation.

Sadly, one also hears African-Americans, Afro-Caribbeans and Afro-Latinos complain about Nigerians. The image these Blacks have of Nigerians is not unlike that of other Africans. A Nigerian trying to secure a professional job or contract - if such office is headed by an African-American -will find it an uphill task. If no one else is listening to the interview, you may be queried, grilled, toyed with and asked unethical questions just to make you loose your composure. Generally speaking, a Nigerian stands a better chance for employment consideration or a level playing field if the man or woman at the top is a non-Black. For whatever reason, African-American women do not share the opinion of their male counterparts regarding Nigerians.

Back to Africans: what is it about Nigeria and Nigerians that vexes them? Nigeria is not an imperialist nation. We neither invade nor occupy other lands. We do not have expansionist tendencies. We are not even a crusading nation lording over the West African sub-region. And even within the African continent, we have mostly helped, and have been a good neighbor. By and large, all we have done is help other African countries in terms of their economy and or political independence. Even though Nigeria has her own problems we continue to expend time and energy and other resources on fellow African countries.

Without Nigeria, close to 40% of sub-Saharan African countries would have found it difficult to gain independence or be in existence today. Our country remains the lifeline of several African countries. Since 1970 or thereabout, Nigeria has spent billions of dollars towards peacekeeping and economic and political stabilization missions. In addition, thousands of Nigerians have lost their lives in the service of these countries. But what do we get for all these efforts? Scorn and ridicule and hate?

Really, what did Nigeria and Nigerians do to the African-American, Afro-Latino and Afro-Caribbean communities to deserve the hostility that is generally directed at us? If others hate us for the obvious and unobservable reasons, what about other Africans? What\'s their problem?
General Discussion / How do you know if a guy loves you or just wants to use you?
« Last post by Amaka on April 03, 2007, 12:28:55 AM »
Whats up Chinma, well most guys if they really care about you will want to wait, but religious belives might make  them wait much longer than a non-religious guy. Unfourtunately it\'s rare to meet a guy who want to wait  :evil: , so if ur guy wants to wait for whatever reason, appreciate it.
General Discussion / NMA
« Last post by chinma on April 02, 2007, 06:53:19 AM »
a single guy, not guys please.
General Discussion / NMA
« Last post by chinma on April 02, 2007, 06:51:56 AM »
NOW, what if you have known someone for a long time, and then started a relationship, with sexual things hung in the mind, then the guys NOT the girl decided to go slowing, and would not want sex until marriage, the girl on the other side, doesn\'t care if it happened while married or not. The guys really happen to be mostly due to religion and the feeling that it is not right to do it, not neccessary meaning that he wants to marriage this particular girl because he has not said he wants to marry her. Apart from religion, what other reasons could make the guy change his mind all of a sudden. By the way, the girl is hot and sexy.
General Discussion / Soldiers kill US based businessman in Owerri
« Last post by Chizi on April 01, 2007, 05:25:21 PM »
O di mma, things are well over here indeed, and vice versa, I hope. Take care.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10