Poll

Will Nigeria\'s Aba manufaturers be able to make a Global Impact

Yes
2 (66.7%)
No
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: March 31, 2005, 10:10:41 AM

Author Topic: Solving Joblessness in Nigeria In Relation to this Story  (Read 2803 times)

Honeybunnie

Solving Joblessness in Nigeria In Relation to this Story
« on: March 31, 2005, 10:10:41 AM »
Going through this, how do we expect to solve joblessness in Naija, like a well respected literary fellow stated, this satire is the best, and the comic relief is PRICELESS...Enjoy!!!

JOBLESS IN NIGERIA?

Ever wondered why it?s so hard to find a job in Nigeria???????
Emeka Okonkwo had just been retrenched from a high flying job, and now he set out hoping to bounce back into the job market.

He started the day early having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN) for 6a.m. While his coffee pot (MADE IN CHINA) was perking, he shaved with his electric razor (MADE IN HONG KONG). He put on a dress shirt (MADE IN ENGLAND, IMPORTED FROM DUBAI), designer jeans (MADE IN SOUTH AFRICA) and tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA). After cooking his breakfast on his new electric cooker (MADE IN INDIA) he sat down with his calculator (MADE IN MEXICO) to see how much he could spend today.
After setting his watch (MADE IN TAIWAN) to the radio (MADE IN JAPAN) according to BBC (BROADCASTING FROM LONDON) time, he got in his car (MADE IN GERMANY AND REFURBISHED IN BELGIUM) and continued his search for a good paying NIGERIAN JOB.

At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day, Okonkwo decided to relax for a while. He sat on his leather couch (MADE IN CANADA) reading a bestseller novel (PUBLISHED IN USA). After a while he wanted to refresh himself. He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL) poured himself a glass of wine (MADE IN FRANCE) and turned on his TV (MADE IN INDONESIA), to CNN (TRANSMITTED FROM AMERICA) and then wondered why he can\'t find a good paying job in.....NIGERIA...

chinelo

• http://
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 03:14:40 PM »
:lol: Nwannem u can say that again.
The world is dangerous not because of those who do harm, but because of those who look at it without doing anything -Albert Einstein

Prince

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 07:32:12 PM »
This is one of those sweet and sour treats.  It\'s very funny stuff.  But the truth of it takes the luster off Its Royal Fun-niness.

I think, with the proper nudge, including but not limited to cash and training, the boys of Ariaria, can be competitive, globally.  Not too long ago, we ridiculed Korea and Taiwan as peddlers of inferior goods.  Now, they are major players in world market and economy.

When was the last time a Nigerian President went to another country to talk trade?  All they talk about is IMF loans and debts.  As Amaka would put it, \"Kposhi-kposhi.\"
He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.

If you s-m-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-l-l-l-l-l-l-l what the Prince - is - cooking!!

(Adapted from WWE’s Rock.)

Honeybunnie

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 07:58:19 PM »
Oh tell me about it, hopefully the CNBC show that should showcase Nigeria does a good job. I seriously think that our Aba traders would not do a bad job of exporting some of their inventions, clothes, shoes etc. Although they need to work more on quality control, When you buy a pair of slippers that are made in Aba, before you know it, after wearing it for one week, it would cut off as if you were wearing a napkin all that time.

chinelo

• http://
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 09:39:11 PM »
prince, don\'t let obj hear dis ur statement o \'when last did he go abroad to talk trade\'.what else do u think he does? why do u think we nicknamed him \'ajala\' (traveller).d guy does not spend a full week in naija, always in one country or d other supposedly wooing investors.i wouldn\'t take dat one from him d guy na ekwurum okwu but oyibo don tell us say \'talk is cheap\'.
how on earth would investors leave stable economies and enter a country where carrying on business is like having an NGO with no support from any angle.no stable electricity(u have to generate ur own power supply if u intend to last even a month),d roads r a nightmare,water nko? accomodation?for where? .d only things dat work around here r privately owned and they r so expensive cos there is no regulation at all( take our GSM for example).
d aba man who will make -made in naija shoes- for u is faced with all these handicaps and still has to pay his workers not to talk of making profit. ihe kacha njo d worst part of this whole story is dat we r being sabotaged by d same people who r supposed to alleviate our suffering.check out how many of them in government own oil companies now(d list keeps growing). asides dat they use their ill-gotten booty to partake in d privatisation exercise(they r buying up d goddamned country)
The world is dangerous not because of those who do harm, but because of those who look at it without doing anything -Albert Einstein

Honeybunnie

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 09:50:32 PM »
Chinelo, I hear you oh!....In regards to those Aba people and the whole thing, I believe thet if we started patronizing our own manufacturers and buying Aba things etc, our economy will get some much needed boost, but do we, NO! Instead, we import all sorts of things from other countries, helping them improve their own economies. Nigeria is a third worl country, all the advanced countries use us as a dumping ground for their unwanted products. I\'m sure that we would not be able to start an electronics manufacturing business, but if we could get the big names to set up the manufacturing plants et al in our country, and give our people jobs etc, we\'ll be in a much better situation.

Prince

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 03:06:01 AM »
I have an idea that he traveled a lot, but I didn\'t know he talked trade.  What does he talk about on trade?  All the commodities we export have been our export products for as long as can remember.  There\'s no market shortage for those products.

He needs to promote the products such as the ones listed by Hb.  Since we don\'t have any quality goods to deliver, his first order of duty would have been to up the qualities of these local products to compete in world market.  We need to have products to sell to the world and bring in their money.

The foreign businesses he attracts only bring in business that sale services and products to Nigerians and leave with our money.  Take the phone and computer craze for example.  These foreign companies collect our money and leave.

We have products that can hold their own in world market, but nobody is pushing them.  Star beer, Golden Guinea, Harp, Goulda, Venus de Milo cream, Car tires, Clothing, Maltina, etc.  Believe me, if we send real kai-kai to the American ghetto, they\'ll forget vodka.  One sip, they\'ll be in la-la land.  I tell you, we got stuff.
He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.

If you s-m-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-l-l-l-l-l-l-l what the Prince - is - cooking!!

(Adapted from WWE’s Rock.)

Honeybunnie

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 08:15:09 PM »
I am not sure what to make of this story just yet, but apparently we are actually exporting software to countries like Sierra Lone and Uganda, this might not be a whole lot, but it sure will go a long way and is a start.

Quote from: \"NOPA.NET\"
Posted:October 11, 2004 at 21:31:03: Nigerian Time Federal Government?s quest for technological breakthrough has received a boost with some software developed in the country making waves in markets in Sierra Leone and Uganda.

According to reports, well packaged software developed by some Nigerian entrepreneurs have been brought by some financial institutions in the African Countries.

??? In a related development, the commercial councilor of the Canadian Embassy in Nigeria, Mr. Greg Bate, has advised, ?entrepreneurs in Nigeria to collaborate with their counterparts in Canada. The two nations would benefit immensely from each other if business linkages in software and technology sectors are developed.?

I wonder what kind of software this would turn out to be, maybe some sort of money calculating, money trasferring or letter writing kinds if you know waramean!!! :lol: