Poll

What is your take on this on Nigeria\'s image?

Offensive
3 (75%)
Neutral
0 (0%)
Very Funny!
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: March 31, 2005, 08:25:56 PM

Author Topic: NIGERIAN SCAMMING UNIVERSITY  (Read 7958 times)

Honeybunnie

NIGERIAN SCAMMING UNIVERSITY
« on: March 31, 2005, 08:25:56 PM »
Has anyone seen this biko!!!!....I still cannot believe my eyes, there is website for a University of Nigeria, which is a scamming/419 school. They claim to have many outlets in different states, I woulda taken it as a joke, but this is not funny because I attended the one and only real, University of Nigeria, Nsukka!!!!

They have admissions info etc,as well as pictures of people who claim to have made money from scamming people. Also provided are course offerings such as Accounting 419, and that the course

Quote from: \"University of Nigeria Website\"
Teaches how to leverage yourself against the American banking system.  Simply write a check for at least $40,000 to an American and wait for them to deposit it.  (Don\'t worry you don\'t need to have that much in the bank).  Next, say the following...  \"Ooops, sorry Mr/Ms American.  I made a mistake and sent you twice as much money.

Link provided below, I just got this in my e-mail and am still doing a double take, because this is only ruining the good name of the University of Nigeria Nsukka and Enugu!!!. Unfortunately,to make matters worse, the real UNN does not have a website and this could be taken for the school\'s site especially if someone pulled it up after running an engine search.

http://www.universityofnigeria.com/index.htm

Prince

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 09:18:43 PM »
This is way past offensive.  Given that there\'s no other choice, I\'ll hav to settle for Funny.  I guess it\'s about the same as all the get rich quick scama here in the US.

What bothers me is that these fellas use the names of a ligitimate Univs to do their dirty work, and nobody has shut them down already.
He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.

If you s-m-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-l-l-l-l-l-l-l what the Prince - is - cooking!!

(Adapted from WWE’s Rock.)

Honeybunnie

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 09:25:26 PM »
How would anyone shut them down when the so called universities in Nigeria don\'t even have access to the internet to see that their schools are being misrepresented to the world....

Honeybunnie

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 09:43:51 PM »
Funny thing, I just ran a search on Google for University of Nigeria, and this is the first thing that came up....This is preposterous, I need to write Mbanefo at UNN, I wonder if there\'s a way to contact them back there at all.

Honeybunnie

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 10:12:24 PM »
Oh My Goodness!!!! Nsukka actually does have a website....Obviously some of the links are not working yet, This is Great!

http://www.unnportal.com/

Prince

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 11:36:08 PM »
You know, there?s this guy I helped come over here on the visa lottery program.  He filled out on his form that he was a computer expert.  When he came, I found out that this guy has no idea what to do with the computer, not even browse the web.  This guy had gone back to Nsukka after his Masters in Engineering, to study computer.

How can one go through 5 to 6 years of Engineering and can\'t use a computer?  Even having gone back for some computer certification, he still does not know his way around the computer.

But contrarily, I communicate on a regular basis with kids who are in the Univ or even high school.  What\'s going on?  Is it still the \"sorting\" thing?

I\'m sorry to digress.  The point I want to make is: does this lick of web site for Nsukka fly in the face of Igbo mane for University, \"Mahadum,\" (know it all)?

If you s-m-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-l-l-l-l-l-l-l what the Prince - is - cooking!!

Susia

• http://
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 02:04:33 AM »
Quote:

How can one go through 5 to 6 years of Engineering and can\'t use a computer?

Good Question Prince!!! but i think i touched on this somewhere in the forum,neverttheless, i will answer that question for ya.

I was privileged to attend one of the Federal Universities in Nigeria and can tell from experience...

it is very possible that one can go through 5 to 6 years of Engr and cant use a Pc.  It is also possible for one to go thru 5 yrs of biology or microbiology and not know how to bisect an animal. How many Universities in Nigeria have a Computer lab.? Most schools that have biology lab, either have outdated equipments collecting dust or no equipment at all. Most pple that use PC in Nigeria didn\'t learn it from Universitty, most pple went to a computer class or frequented the cyber cafe....
Most Computer Science majors can actually tell you everything abt computer like the thoeritical part but dont know what to do with a computer when presented to them how much more browse.... Why ?? because , there is no hands -on in Nigeria Universities. A Computer science major shld be able to go to the computer lab and perform practicals and hands -on and apply what ever was taught in class, like wise a bio student shld be able do some pratical in the lab.

Sorting??... Yea sorting can play a role if one graduates as a Computer Science major and can\'t tell you anything or much abt PCs.

It is very pathetic, that sorting has become a norm in Nigerian universities esp the Federal Universities. A few Lecturers in Nigerian universities has turned the System to a means of generating funds e.g sorting, selling textbks, etc. when i was in school. sorting was like N1,000 per course and depending if the lecturer accept sorting, now to sort one lecturer, you are looking at no less than N10,000. Now imagine 50 students sorting this guy, we looking at N500, 000 just for this course oooo, some lecturers teaches like 2 or 3 courses.
The text bk issue is another means of sorting but i guess legally..... Some lecturers tell you outright..\" if you dont buy my book, you are going to fail the course\". Now you buy this book but only get to use chapters 1 and 2. and those that dont buy it get to fail the course regardless of how hard u study.
What happens to students from poor families that can\'t afford to sort or buy those irrevelant expensive books?? I guess the Universities are meant for kids from royal family that cld afford to sort.
What happens to those students that thinks its morally wrong to sort and against their belief??

Some times i ask my self, what the Senate and Board of council are doing inorder  to eradicate all this nonsense. There is going to come a time when graduates from Nigerian Universities will not know their left and right abt their majors cos they sorted all thru.
Begin with the determination to suceed and the work is half done already.

Prince

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 02:21:27 AM »
Ain\'t that a shame?  I never heard of this sorting phenomenon until the Osuji, Njoku bribery scandal.

I didn\'t attend college in Nigeria.  But when I came to the US, any Nigerian college graduate was a shoe-in at US post graduate program.  These days, on account of all this nonsense, a Master\'s degree from any Nigerian Univ is worthless here, not even in Community Colleges.  This is discouraaging.

Susia

• http://
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005, 02:35:54 AM »
Good Point Prince.......

...And they are surprised when the come here with their Bsc, or Msc and they throw them back to community college ,Senior colleges or make them take exams for high school students....
 Well let them go figure!!!!!!.

Most Nigerian Universities have a lot of Professors that studied abroad and went to well known schools yet the outcome of students from these Nigerian Unversities are very appalling.
Begin with the determination to suceed and the work is half done already.

Honeybunnie

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2005, 08:15:19 PM »
I cannot believe my eyes, Nsukka has finally been given the money needed to complete the so called \"largest Library in west Africa\". I am ecstatic at this news, and I hope that the money is put where it is really meant to be, 901 million Naira...Great. For those of you that do not know, I believe this Library project started years before I attended that school, I think my uncle had mentioned that he was finishing his master\'s when they started it, and Nsukka would always tout itself as about to have \"the Largest Library\", after it was abandoned, it became a dumping ground, you know how Naija is....

FG awards N901m UNN library contract [/color][/b]
By Tony Edike
Monday, April 4, 2005
[/i][/b]

ENUGU?THE Federal Government has awarded a N901 million contract for the completion of the ultra modern Nnamdi Azikiwe Library project at the University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN), which was abandoned over ten years ago owing to paucity of funds.

The government also promised to fund through due process, a number of projects including road maintenance and completion of the Lecture Theatre and Teaching Laboratory at the Enugu Campus and completion of vital projects at the permanent site of the College of Medicine of the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital (UNTH) at Ituku Ozalla near Enugu.

President Olusegun Obasanjo, who announced these in an address to the 34th convocation ceremony of the institution in Nsukka at the weekend, explained that the gesture was part of his administration\'s effort to refocus and reposition universities to enable them face the challenges of technological age.

According to him, the government was mindful of peculiar problems and constraints facing universities, assuring that the administration would continue to sustain them through funding within available limited resources.

The President whose address was delivered by Minister of State for Education, Hajia Bintu Musa Ibrahim, acknowledged the widespread clamour for improved funding of the universities to enable them effectively discharge their obligations,but asked authorities of the various universities to create alternative sources to supplement government\'s effort.

http://odili.net/news/source/2005/apr/4/307.html

okey

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 01:28:19 AM »
Are you kidding me? You know, this is one hell of a story
===
Quality is never an accident; It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, Intelligent direction and skillful execution;
It represents the wise choice of many alternatives

okey

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2005, 01:33:22 AM »
This is disturbing! Under their course list, the have a course named
Ebay Buying Strategies 419  ( CRN: 92456 )[/b]

Retail Management 604  ( CRN: 57932 )
Learn the secrets of purchasing Hermes and Louis Vuiton leather goods for less than $1.00 each and reselling them for over $100!

http://universityofabuja.com/courses.htm

I\'m almost tempted to say that anyone who falls for this probably deserves to be scammed. This is hilarious
===
Quality is never an accident; It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, Intelligent direction and skillful execution;

okey

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2005, 01:34:32 AM »
And the even have an alumni section... chie!

http://universityofabuja.com/alumni.htm

I wonder where the got those pictures from?
===

Honeybunnie

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2005, 08:44:55 PM »
Are they for real though, do you think the people on the website are actully scammers per se....It is ridiculous

okey

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2005, 05:23:49 AM »
Then again, the site may have been setup for fun
===