Author Topic: Do Africans understand the concept of "love" in ma  (Read 1376 times)

fresco

Do Africans understand the concept of "love" in ma
« on: April 14, 2005, 06:19:25 AM »
Below what a Nigerian said about marriage. Although he\'s entitled to express his views but i don\'t like it when people make generalizations. He said sumtin of how \"love\" in marriage is alien to Africans but not to the Europeans. So is he implying that only Europeans understand the concept of \"love\" in marriages? i just don\'t agree with almost the entire thing he said.
-------------------------------------------------
\"At 19, I met, courted and \"married\" a girl I met in Lagos. However, six years later, the \"marriage\" was annulled by my parents on many grounds. I later married a girl chosen by the family for me, and we have lived happily together for 21 years now. The point of all this is this: the concept of marriage based on \"love\" as understood by Europeans, is alien to Africans. Marriage in Africa is not necessarily between the two people involved, but between families. There are many reasons for this. Whereas European couples are expected to stay together until death do them apart, Africans revert to their individual families upon the death of one of the couple or in old age\".
-------------------------------------------------Source: For more readings http://news.bbc.co.

uapo4

• http://
Do Africans understand the concept of "love" in ma
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 08:29:48 AM »
I don\'t know why the guy had \"marriage\" in quotation marks when he said it was annuled. Anyway, this is actually bigger than I thought I could comment on. Nevertheless, I\'ll say that I agree with his statement that in Africa, marriage brings in the extended families as well. For most Europeans, it is just the individuals (couple) and they rarely bring their respective families into the picture.

Regarding love, I think Africans do love their spouses very well. Better still, they tend to show more patience.  As it seems, Africans can in general withstand more pain in their marriage than others before considering divorce. I have not done a statistical study, but that is what it seems. I\'ve heard of a situation (not in africa) where a couple wants to divorce because the husband appeared shorter or was it ugly; a story like this in Africa would be sort of alu to mention. Anyway, let me stop there for now.
"Incline Thy ear, O Lord, and hear me: for I am needy and poor" -- Psalm lxxxv. 1