Poll

What kind of Movies Do you like the Best?

Romantic
1 (14.3%)
Epics
0 (0%)
Thriller
3 (42.9%)
Horror
1 (14.3%)
Action
2 (28.6%)
Sci-Fi
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: May 19, 2005, 07:23:49 PM

Author Topic: ALL ABOUT MOVIES (Reviews et al)  (Read 11109 times)

chinelo

• http://
ALL ABOUT MOVIES (Reviews et al)
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2005, 02:37:27 PM »
How about Closer, i think Clive Owen just does it for me.i loved his performance in King Authur and SinCity too. i must also give Julia Roberts and Jude Law their dues too (great performance). Did i mention that the co-star in Hotel Rwanda is from naija (even though she was born and raised in jand) her name is something Okonedo (her and Don Cheadle made a great pair).
b4 they clamped down on d pirates i was really current but now movies take time to come out in naija.
Hey guys! don\'t know if u\'ve heard of our very own 21st century cinema - complete with current movies,popcorn,escalators,pepsi and 5 great theatres(no be small effizi o).its Silverbird cinemas at Victoria Island,they even show d movies running weekly on tv.i went there once to see I Robot (quite expensive) and i was impressed.its the fad for all those ajebos now.
The world is dangerous not because of those who do harm, but because of those who look at it without doing anything -Albert Einstein

Honeybunnie

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2005, 08:22:54 AM »
Yes Oh!....I definitely have heard about the movie theater in Lag. I was talking with my coz, like so what are you going to do today....girl was like \"I and my friends are going to the movies\".... 8O  8O  8O I did a double take, like shooo, are you talking about renting a movie and watching at home, and she fully kowashiated it all to me..... 2500, abi 3000 Naira for a movie, Isn\'t that a little bit of a rip-off if you convert movie prices over here, which are in dollars (6, 7, depending on your status as a student or not) to the equivalent in Naira??.

By the way, I hope they get one in Abuja pretty soon, it\'ll be so much fun to check out a movie in Naija when I visit.

ozy

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2005, 06:56:03 PM »
2500 naira? that\'s quite a rip off! well may be the price will come when people really get use to it.  as for me it\'s hard to spend $7.50 to watch a movie that\'s not all that.  imagine myself paying N2500 to go watch \"Cookout\".

Honeybunnie

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2005, 06:43:06 PM »
Hahahaha, Ozy that is a very different way to look at it that\'s for sure. Or imagine paying 2500 Naira to go watch Gigli or Soul plane...I haven\'t even seen tha, gigli that ist, I should probably rent it sometime, or I\'ll just spare myself the pain of seeing the \"trainwreck\" of a movie since noone has had anything nice to say about it.  :(

ozy

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2005, 08:29:01 PM »
Don\'t even bother to rent Gigli. when i finished watching the movie, i was like what is this movie all about? the good thing was that i watched it \"On Demand\" so i did not waste my money. for soul plane, that was a total waste of my money.

Honeybunnie

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2005, 07:28:32 PM »
My roomie rented \"Darkness\", this past weekend, and with all that was going on, we were finally able to watch it late last night. Ohmigosh! is all I can say, it was scary as hell, so if you are into scary flicks, feel free to rent it, the best part of it all was the twist and the end just leaves you craving for more. There\'s going to be a sequel for sure, that\'d be fun to see.

I can\'t wait for \"Hide and Seek\" to come out on dvd, I didn\'t get to see it in the theater, and I\'m pretty sure it\'ll be worth the wait.

Anyone seen Madagascar?? I know it\'s a cartoon, I do like watching those kinds of movies, I hear it isn\'t that great. I was in the movie theater to watch all three Harry Porter movies so far, and please don\'t laugh, they were really good! It was so funny, here I was with my friend standing in line, and there\'s a bunch of kids all looking at us like, aren\'t you too old .... i wasn\'t even caring, was like my visit to Disneyland, I stood in line to take a picture with Mickey , and all the people around me were little kids....hey, noone says \'cos I\'m taller I still can\'t be a kid. :D  :lol:

sly

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2005, 09:22:00 AM »
Honeyb I hear u. I\'m hooked on cartoons as well and Madagascar is a must watch for me, but Tom and Jerry is my favourite. Already watched all the harry porter series and I\'m waiting for the new book too. Honestly this idea of paying 2500 or 3000 to watch a movie is really dumb. That would to about $20 or more. I rather buy the DVD that spend that much to go to the movies.
*****Accept criticism with a spirit of gratitude. Ego tripping is the dance of fools and has no place in the pursuit of excellence.*****
*****Michael Grant*****

fresco

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2005, 12:34:59 AM »
I rented and watched \"XXX-State of the Union\", all i can say is WOW. The movie was about Stone (Ice-cube) who tried to save the US president from being killed by the Secretary of Defense. The president didn\'t know that the Sec. of Defense was conspiring with the military to kill the prez after he makes the state of the union speech. At the end, Stone was able to help protect the prez, which would make him (Stone) become a free man because he was a criminal, who was sentenced to jail.
 This was a good flick. If you like action movies and more demolitions, this is your type. Although I would prefer Vin Diesel to have performed Ice Cube\'s role because he was the person that performed in the original \"XXX\", and he did really good in it. I wonder how they would not put him but instead Ice Cube. O well, it was also fine. I was wondering how much money spent in it, because it would be expensive. I mean many buildings destroyed and number of people featured in the movie; imagine paying these individuals, that will be lots of dollars to spend.

ozy

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2005, 07:19:26 AM »
I am waiting to see \"Mr &Mrs Smith\".  May be that is going to be the movie i will actually watch in the theater this Friday.

chinelo

• http://
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2005, 07:38:03 PM »
Haba, the tickets are not that expensive o! i think i paid 1000 bucks(on a weekday though) but even weekends its like 1500 or so max. if its 2000 now,then its just a recent development and a frigging rip-off.they also have price cuts for students(but nothing too fantastic).for someone like me, i\'d do my research well before going to that theater. i wouldn\'t dare spend so much to see rubbish.
i didn\'t think much of XXX before and after the movie,the cast was wack to start with and they just overdid so many things.
i hear Tom Cruise is getting married to his co-star,i\'m looking forward to seeing what happens in Mr&Mrs Smith sha.
The world is dangerous not because of those who do harm, but because of those who look at it without doing anything -Albert Einstein

fresco

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2005, 09:48:30 PM »
I saw the Skeleton Key the day it came out. Well the movie was aiight and puzzling too. It\'s bascially about Carolina, a nurse who was called to assist an ailing man in a secluded mansion. The house was possessed by spirits of the former inhabitants called Justify, who practiced Hoodoo... some what similar to Voodo. To the nurse, she didn\'t know much about the history of the house and the wife of the ailing man, who knew much about the house, kept it secret. To the nurse\'s surprise she noticed that there aren\'t any mirrors in the house and she wondered why. She called the wife\'s attention but she didn\'t tell her the reason. When Carolina threatened to leave, the wife told her it was b/c she sees the spirits of Justify\'s family. She also told her about the house was hunted. She didn\'t tell her that she was the cause of her husband\'s sickness. Later Carolina decided to uncover the truth behind the man\'s paralysis. Carolina visited a woman who was familiar with the Hoodoo and questioned her.... the woman made her concoction which she would use to make the old man speak. It was during the process of making him speak that the old man told her that it was his wife that caused him to become paralyzed. Meanwhile the wife came to realize that Carolina had found out what was going on and began to hunt her down. Eventually the wife of the old man and her son wanted to sacrifice Carolina same way she did to her husband. Carolina later thought she found out a way to protect herself from those two but it was the opposite. She even helped the wife succeed in the exchange of their spirits.
  As for rating...... well i give it 4 stars.