Government Secondary School Owerri Online Forum > Humor

Calling On All GSSO and Owerri Metro

(1/2) > >>

festus:
As the \'reunion\' of the Owerri Metropolitan Schools has become an annual and established event (and we should thanks the crew that made this possible, including those planning to launch a UK version), it is time to also use this forum to further our ultimate aim of \'giving something back\'. My apologies for not attending so far, (at least my man Juice represented us all well), to make up for this I am at the early stages of planning a research project with two partners (an NGO in Owerri and the Migration and Citizenship Imitative) and I will like to involve GSSO, Owerri Girls, Feddy, Holy Ghost college Alumni either as respondents or focus groups. Before I explain what the research project is all about please take time (if you can) to read these stories - follow the links

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/5151740.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4342594.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4292840.stm

Ok you know the story. The project is looking at the whole phenomena of migration and its social consequences. I want people to reflect on their own experiences of moving from Owerri to wherever. Is this how you imagined your life to turn out? Do you know many people who stayed back? Do they want to join you here? What do you tell those at home about your situation? etc. I hope to do some extensive field work in GSSO, Feddy, Holy Ghost College, Ikenegbu Girls etc.

Hopefully after a while I may be able to come to the reunion to do in-depth interviews and generally hang out with y\'all.

If you have any question regarding confidentiality, privacy or any concerns please ask.

festus

uapo4:
Sir Festus, this will be a good piece of work if you dedicate enough time to it.  Maybe it is time to show up for the metro reunion or the Old boys GSSO reunion, where you can answer all the questions that will be given to you as well as have the chance to interview those who have direct experience.

festus:
Bros,

You are right, and i am devoted to the project which I think is a prelude to a bigger project (isha Allah, as muslims will say) in Owerri. But I will come to the reunion. I just need to do a preliminary sampling and then identify core groups to do indepth interviews with. But any how, I will attend the reunion some day as a true oggsian.

otuonye:
Festus,

I think I have a little idea what you are trying to do, however the reasons are not clear yet. Furthermore, maybe like the other guy suggested, this might be time to start attending the re-union [although I have never attended one myself].

You are likely going to meet people who will provide the answers to your questions. By the way, when did you finish from Government College and where exactly are you right now?

Otuonye

festus:
Hi,

I left Gsso in 1985. My goal is quite simple, I am looking at the social consequences of migration. This is especially relevant to a region of the world that has been loosing the same age group (12-59) for about 500 years under different guises (slavery, civilising missions, modernisation and now globalisation). We usually don\'t pay attention to social processes at our own grave cost, I think we should start now.

Festus

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version